Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   We are 21 million (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/we-21-million-t110300.html)

gollytwo 03-25-2011 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
The Wall Street Journal reports that there are 21million quilters who spend 3.6 BILLION a year.

Are you going to the Red and White quilt exhibit this weekend? 600+ quilts, I think it's at the Armory, sponsored by the Folk Art Museum.

jdeery 03-25-2011 08:30 AM

And we are one in 21 million

thrums 03-25-2011 08:32 AM

The Wall Street Journal reports that there are 21million quilters who spend 3.6 BILLION a year.

That means we have a voice.

NanaInVirginia 03-25-2011 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by mimistutz
I think I spend my share too, but had to print this article. My DH is retired trucker, I have to show him this. He helps me with color selection and gets a little more involved all the time. Keep telling him he'll be quilting by next year. He even went to and enjoyed the Lancaster quilt show with me last week. He was facinated by the longarms.

I sure wish I could get my husband to be fasinated by longarms. Can you imagine how that would increase my budget? I could have a Lamborghini powered quilting rig, lol.

NanaInVirginia 03-25-2011 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by dixiechunk

Originally Posted by Foxflower
If I got the right number of zeros, I think that's just over $171 per quilter per year. Somebody check my math! I've spent that already this year I think, or come close.

Oh, Foxflower, you think just like me! I ran for the calculator right away. Unfortunately I came up with a different # ($76) so we still haven't settled anything.

Anybody else want to help figure this out?

Foxflower is right.

Saw your other post after I posted this. Is there a way to delete a post that you make?

Foxflower 03-25-2011 08:37 AM

I just don't know how it could only be $171/quilter each year. I just finished a king-size quilt top--a budget one. The whole quilt top only cost me about $55. But, then there's the batting, on sale, about another $25. The backing and binding were give to me, so $0. But, here's the clincher, the professional quilting along will cost a minimum of $163.50. So my total on one quilt alone this year....$243.50 minimum. I think we are spending way more than 3.6 billion year. Kind of scary, if you think about it very hard. We could make a dent in the national debt -- but I'm not giving any more money to the government than I have to! :lol:

NanaInVirginia 03-25-2011 08:42 AM

I guess that there is no minimum requirement for the amount of quilting you do to be a quilter. There must be some people out there that quilt once in a blue moon. I don't quilt as much as most, but that doesn't keep me from shopping :) I love batiks, so it not uncommon for me to spend $140 on a throw and that doesn't calculate in anything for machines. I mean throw a couple of Berninas and a Gammill or two in the mix and 3.6 billion sounds like a laughable amount, doesn't it?

I think I may have figured it out...the people who took the survey had to misrepresent the real amount they spent so DH wouldn't find out just what they spent. lol

catmcclure 03-25-2011 08:51 AM

Wonder if the execs at WalMart read this article? That 3.6 billion is only what we quilters spent on fabric.

vlok 03-25-2011 09:51 AM

Hi every one, the newbie here. I heard just recently that quilters spend more on their hobby than all the wooodworkers, golfers, hunters together spend on their stuff.
Quilter's are the largest spending group out there.
Proud to be one.

MrsM 03-25-2011 09:52 AM

I try to do my share! :lol: