Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   We have some great husbands! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/we-have-some-great-husbands-t63827.html)

leakus 09-14-2010 03:25 PM

I have to share with you me fellow quilters my story. I started quilting 10 years ago, at the begining I quilted a little, always worked full time. My DH let me convert our 2nd bedroom in my sewing room. Then we adopted our son and I lost my sewing room and of course the little time I had to quilt. When my son turned 4 I started at looking at quilting again as he started playing by himself. Now, you all know how addicting quilting is and I am one that when into a hobby I go all the way. So, here is where my problem starts. My DH supported my hobby when I was spending little time on it but now when I come back from work I really want to be in my sewing room. Well, DH complains and complains about my hobby and how little time I spend with him- just as a note- he wants me to sit by him watching what ever is on TV that he likes- I really don't like to "waste" time watching TV. I prefer doing something more productive, like making a quilt for somebody that would appreciate it and spend time on my loved hobby. My DH buys equipment for different hobbies but doesn't really spend time on them, so most of the time he is complaining about my hobby or how much I spent or want to spend. By the way- don't ever suggest him to "find" a hobby or tell him how he should spend his free time. He doesn't like me managing his time.
On the other hand and this might be the guiltiness on him, he encouraged me to buy my serger when I said I wanted one, he agreed to buy a house with an extra bedroom to be my sewing room and more than often he gives me cash to buy my stuff without asking how I spent it. Don't take me wrong... I work full time and I get to use the credit card when I am pleased and that is fabric or notions but he is "watching" my credit card statements as well and drops here and there a comment which I ignore.
Over all he is a keeper because he "tries" to compensate his complains with good actions but I really wish he would appreciate my hobby more or understand better that I need to nurture my soul. -
Sorry for the long post and deficiencies in my English- my mother tonge is Spanish.
Finding this board has been great for me because I know I am not quilting alone and I can now share my hobby with friends, however I realized that the board has become a passion as well and I need more time for myself- which causes again more complains from DH.
I agree when you say: WE GOTTA LOVE THEM DH!

vanessa 09-15-2010 03:45 AM

Andrea,

I so feel your pain. Your husband issue is so much like mine. We are their entertainment. We do deserve some time to ourself, and it is hard dividing our time between work, our children, and our husband, and then finding time for ourself. This board of quilters are wonderful listeners.

Vanessa

Originally Posted by leakus
I have to share with you me fellow quilters my story. I started quilting 10 years ago, at the begining I quilted a little, always worked full time. My DH let me convert our 2nd bedroom in my sewing room. Then we adopted our son and I lost my sewing room and of course the little time I had to quilt. When my son turned 4 I started at looking at quilting again as he started playing by himself. Now, you all know how addicting quilting is and I am one that when into a hobby I go all the way. So, here is where my problem starts. My DH supported my hobby when I was spending little time on it but now when I come back from work I really want to be in my sewing room. Well, DH complains and complains about my hobby and how little time I spend with him- just as a note- he wants me to sit by him watching what ever is on TV that he likes- I really don't like to "waste" time watching TV. I prefer doing something more productive, like making a quilt for somebody that would appreciate it and spend time on my loved hobby. My DH buys equipment for different hobbies but doesn't really spend time on them, so most of the time he is complaining about my hobby or how much I spent or want to spend. By the way- don't ever suggest him to "find" a hobby or tell him how he should spend his free time. He doesn't like me managing his time.
On the other hand and this might be the guiltiness on him, he encouraged me to buy my serger when I said I wanted one, he agreed to buy a house with an extra bedroom to be my sewing room and more than often he gives me cash to buy my stuff without asking how I spent it. Don't take me wrong... I work full time and I get to use the credit card when I am pleased and that is fabric or notions but he is "watching" my credit card statements as well and drops here and there a comment which I ignore.
Over all he is a keeper because he "tries" to compensate his complains with good actions but I really wish he would appreciate my hobby more or understand better that I need to nurture my soul. -
Sorry for the long post and deficiencies in my English- my mother tonge is Spanish.
Finding this board has been great for me because I know I am not quilting alone and I can now share my hobby with friends, however I realized that the board has become a passion as well and I need more time for myself- which causes again more complains from DH.
I agree when you say: WE GOTTA LOVE THEM DH!

wvdek 09-24-2010 10:22 PM

Earlier this week I asked my DH to be on the lookout for my 'F' foot for my Janome. I have misplaced it and he is great at 'sniffing' out my lost items. I showed him a similar one and explained it is clear with a red arrow and it is one I use all the time.

DH had a trip to Durham, NC this week and while there found a Janome dealer and bought me another foot. Said he didn't want me to get behind on my projects. I told him I didn't want to know what he had paid for it and he said they only wanted $8 for it. WOW, what a sweetie. He got a big hug, smooch, and thank you for that one.

buntcake49 09-24-2010 11:07 PM

My DH loves to go to quilt stores with me. BUT, if he had to go by himself to get me a missng part or supply - forget!!!!!