Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are we Hoarders or is it something else? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/we-hoarders-something-else-t236914.html)

Lori S 12-17-2013 04:07 PM

Are we Hoarders or is it something else?

I don't like to think of myself as a fabric hoarder , but my stash never seems to go down in size , only gets larger. .. This got me thinking .. am I hoarding or is it that I am just too optimistic in thinking that I really will get to make all this fabric into quilts? What do you think are you a hoarder or too optimistic for the size of your stash???? or is there something more to your hoard?.... sorry meant to say large stash.

kaelynangelfoot 12-17-2013 04:29 PM

Hoarding is, as I understand it, a psychological condition, in which people find it impossible to get rid of anything, often as a reaction to losing someone. I don't think that quilter's fall under that umbrella, because they are buying it for a purpose, and they use it. They may not use it all, but there is a constant outflow of material. Now if you've filled your attic, and your garage, and your basement, and you don't want to use the fabric for fear you might need it for something else in the future, then yes, I would say you have a problem.

Other than that, if you think your stash it is getting too big, there is a Fabric Moratorium group you might find interesting. Or you could just send some of that lovely fabric my way :)

ManiacQuilter2 12-17-2013 04:43 PM

I think there are some of us that are afraid to let go of fabric because as soon as it is sold or given away, we are going to find ourselves in a jam because we needed that print for a quilt in the future. Hope this makes sense.

M.Elizabeth 12-17-2013 04:46 PM

I think of myself as a collector, not a hoarder!

RST 12-17-2013 04:55 PM

If you have significantly more cotton fibers incoming than outgoing, then I guess it does start to become something sort of like hoarding. If you just have a lot of volume flowing through your hands, then you're just productive and busy.

I like to give my fabric collection a reality check every now and then. I force myself to commit to use it or lose it. If I realistically don't want to use it, then it's time to give it to someone who will, sell it, or donate it. Interestingly, some of my favorite quilts have been made when I faced a use it or lose it moment -- somehow that removed the mindblock I had which was keeping me from using it up, waiting to find just the right pattern or the perfect recipient, and just get going and do it.

My guideline for myself is that all my fabric needs to fit within a specific space-- I have a dresser with drawers designated for color ranges, a collection of shoe boxes on top for scrappy bits, and one tote for larger yardages. Anything more coming in translates to something has to move out-- ideally in the form of a quilt.

caroloto 12-17-2013 05:04 PM

Hoarder no I don't think I am one as I do buy and have years of stash but I also am one who are willing to give it away ti those who don't have due to not having extra money to buy themself. I consider my self a collector cause that fabric I just found at the LQS is to pretty to pass up and I might just need it someday...lol

Don't you just hate it when you pick out fabric that is just way to pretty or different to cut up!!! Now I might be a hoarder for those type...

BellaBoo 12-17-2013 05:14 PM

I give away more fabric then I use. I see new fabric colors and designs and I will buy it because it is beautiful. Giving is the way to receive. The more I give it seems the more I'm able to buy.

MaryStoaks 12-17-2013 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by M.Elizabeth (Post 6461588)
I think of myself as a collector, not a hoarder!

Me too. But I did make 14 bed size quilts for Christmas this year, mostly from stash. I do try to keep the stash moving out.

Jackie Spencer 12-17-2013 05:18 PM

I don't think hoarders are neat, orderly, and organized are they? I am constantly making quilts, so my fabric is constantly moving. One mistake I did make, and won't do that again. I made my SIL a quilt a couple of years ago, he called a couple of months ago and said he burnt it with a cigarette! Just a few weeks before I wash clearing out my stash and gave away all the left overs from his quilt. I did fix it and it looked fine, but wish I had saved some of that fabric back.

Nammie to 7 12-17-2013 05:22 PM

Every now and then I go through my fabric and cull out different things. This year I packaged up a bunch of panels that embellished sweatshirts, made advent calendars, Christmas dolls, vests, etc. Took them to a guild meeting, put them on a table and they all went to good homes. Earlier this year I pulled out a bunch of small pieces of fabric or fabric I didn't like and made a string quilt out of it all. It turned out really nice. So, to answer your question - no I don't think I'm a hoarder even though I probably will never use up all the fabric I currently have.