Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wedding and Anniversary quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wedding-anniversary-quilts-t188761.html)

Pats8e8 05-11-2012 10:38 PM

Wedding and Anniversary quilts

Have any of you heard of making quilts out of your wedding gowns? Our 50th anniversary is next year and I think that would be a great idea for an anniversary quilt. What do all of you think? I have only grandsons and no one will ever need or want to use my dress. I think this would be a very good use of it.

Havplenty 05-11-2012 10:45 PM

search this board there are many posts for wedding dress quilts.

QuiltE 05-12-2012 04:01 AM

Being that you still have your gown ... I'd encourage you to keep it in tact and show it at your anniversary celebrations. Or perhaps throughout the year during get togethers with family and friends. This may be as simple as one person dropping by for tea. Many will enjoy seeing it and will help you enjoy your significant milestone all the more.

Now here's the twist ... Being that you are interested in using it for a quilt., start planning your quilt!! Of course, the design and start looking for fabrics to mix with it, etc. Your design might include some photos from your wedding day, dates, etc. And .... have all those who "see" your dress and help you celebrate, sign signature blocks with their wishes to you.

Then after it's all over .... if you are wanting to cut up your dress, go for it and have a fun time putting it all together.

PaperPrincess 05-12-2012 05:10 AM

If the dress has a train, you can compromise. My mom cut the train from her dress to make my christening coat, but left the dress in tact, Sort of the best of both worlds. The coat was most recently used for her GGson. The only downside is trying to hold a squirmy baby in slippery satin!

Tweety2911 05-12-2012 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 5211305)
If the dress has a train, you can compromise. My mom cut the train from her dress to make my christening coat, but left the dress in tact, Sort of the best of both worlds. The coat was most recently used for her GGson. The only downside is trying to hold a squirmy baby in slippery satin!

I love the idea of making a Christening coat out of a wedding gown train or perhaps even using the gown. Something wonderful for future GGC. I also love the idea of just showing off the gown to visitors and talking about your wonderful 50 years of marriage. A personal choice and only one you can make. Congratulations on this milestone.

zennia 05-12-2012 06:25 AM

I am making a "Lovers Knot" quilt for our 50th. Around the boarder and in some white blocks i am going to embroidery things that happened or important in our marriage. It has been fun planning it out. Now i have to really get busy.

cjr 05-12-2012 08:01 AM

I just have to commenton this one. My dh & I are celebrating our 50th this year with several events. The main event is going to be done like a wedding, rented place, catered, dj etc. I am renting, borrowing dress forms to display family wedding gowns. I have my Mother-in-laws, 1936, mine 1962, my 2 daughters and my DIL. My other DIL rented her gown. They have all been stored in boxes for way to long.

GrannieAnnie 05-12-2012 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Pats8e8 (Post 5210985)
Have any of you heard of making quilts out of your wedding gowns? Our 50th anniversary is next year and I think that would be a great idea for an anniversary quilt. What do all of you think? I have only grandsons and no one will ever need or want to use my dress. I think this would be a very good use of it.

It's your dress-------------you get the vote!

Tink's Mom 05-12-2012 08:19 AM

I would hang it up and audition it for a quilt...if it doesn't seem to work...just stuff the dress and display it at the party.

starshine 05-12-2012 08:56 AM

someone posted on here of a beautiful wall hanging she made from her bridesmaid dress. I think it was in Pictures. I think making something from your dress for the 50th would be very meaningful. And it could eventually be passed on to anyone in the family.