Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wedding Guest Book Quick Suggestions Needed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wedding-guest-book-quick-suggestions-needed-t306033.html)

Sande 07-30-2019 07:51 AM

Wedding Guest Book Quick Suggestions Needed

5 Attachment(s)
My son was married 2 weeks ago. For his wedding, I made quilt blocks for guests to sign. I have 82 signed blocks. Now the fun begins! I get to piece the quilt top and make this a very special keepsake for my son and DIL (wow! That’s the first time I used that reference).

I was thinking about adding a block in the middle of the quilt with their names and dates embroidered on it.

I want to make this really special and my creative juices stopped flowing for some reason! I would love to get feedback on the best way to piece the blocks together using sashing and borders. I may use a soft flannel for the back to make it cozy. The kids wanted an earthy look and selected 10 different prints from Summer on the Pond by Holly Taylor for Moda. I have lots of leftover fabric from all 10 prints.

Any suggestions you all have would be so greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sande

osewme 07-30-2019 08:01 AM

Oh, that's going to be a beautiful quilt for your son & DIL. The colors are so warm & rich. I don't have any suggestions but I know they will be so happy with what you decide on for the pattern & layout. Can't wait to see what you come up with & see the finished quilt.

Mousie 07-30-2019 08:06 AM

I love this. Maybe Google or Pinterest might get your mojo going?

Iceblossom 07-30-2019 08:13 AM

Definitely add the names and date!

What a lovely project. However you put it together will be great and meaningful and since the fabrics are related they will work together.

I did a search on "square in a square quilts" that gave me some lovely images. I tried other searches that didn't work so well.

QuiltE 07-30-2019 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom (Post 8283094)
......I did a search on "square in a square quilts"...........

ditto!

Putting them together as is, can give a nice effect with how the different colours/fabrics meet to form QSTs. Then add in some more of the same fabrics to complete the design. I'd work it out on graph paper to come up with the overall design.

The colours/fabrics are going to make for a quilt shedding warmth and hugs!

Rhonda K 07-30-2019 04:53 PM

Those will make a beautiful quilt for the new couple.

Jordan 07-30-2019 05:09 PM

Your blocks are so beautiful and I am sure someone on this board will give your some awesome ideas.

zozee 07-30-2019 07:10 PM

What a wonderful keepsake for your son and daughter-in-law. Love the colors.

I would definitely use the flannel you suggested. So warm and cozy. Whether you sash or not might depend ultimately what size you're going for. Without seeing all your blocks together, I'm thinking a tonal that reads solid, in a color that complements the room where it'll used most, would put the focus on the blocks. Then maybe a scrappy border repeating the fabrics from the quilt?

Gerbie 07-31-2019 02:30 AM

What about making a quilt as you go, since you already have the blocks signed and you could make the center block whatever size you want.

juliasb 07-31-2019 03:27 AM

You might want to consider putting them on the diagonal point. I have done signature blocks both ways.