Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wedding Invitation- Small Wall Hanging-Any Ideas? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wedding-invitation-small-wall-hanging-any-ideas-t129630.html)

nnewman 06-11-2011 05:56 AM

I received a wedding invitation for my niece's wedding and need an idea of something that I can make that will include it. It needs to be something pretty quick and easy. I thought I would put a photo of the invitation to fabric but other than that I don't have any ideas. Can you help?

mom-6 06-11-2011 06:43 AM

When I got married someone water colored a rose on the invitation and put it in a pretty frame.
You could find out what her colors are and do a simple border of those colors around the invitation.

clem55 06-11-2011 07:32 AM

Pretty wedding bells in satin appliqued on? Narrow satin ribbon tied in bows on the bell(s) and linking one to the other around the invitation. Champagne glass, wedding rings? Or, white satin gimp braid and beautiful lace forming a frame around it, ribbon roses in the corners. I use to make wedding albums, and you can buy beautiful trims that work great, pearls, sequins, different styles of lace trim, whatever suits your fancy. All glued on! If you are doing a photo fabric, maybe cover the photo with a layer of tulle to soften , add some batting to the back, glue those trims on and put in a crystal frame.

angiecub 06-11-2011 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by nnewman
I received a wedding invitation for my niece's wedding and need an idea of something that I can make that will include it. It needs to be something pretty quick and easy. I thought I would put a photo of the invitation to fabric but other than that I don't have any ideas. Can you help?

You could do a throw pillow with the invitation (fabric) in the middle and the wedding colors in the rest of the pillow. I normally have a mat made and frame the wedding invitation as a wedding gift.

ghostrider 06-11-2011 12:14 PM

You can attach the actual invitation to your wall quilt with matte gel medium. It would have more of an impact than just a photo would.

nnewman 06-11-2011 03:38 PM

Can you tell me more about that? I have no idea what that is.

ghostrider 06-11-2011 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by nnewman
Can you tell me more about that? I have no idea what that is.

Gel Medium is a very versitile product. It can be used to extend the open time of acrylic paints (meaning they won't dry as fast as usual), as an adhesive for fabric and paper, as a sealing topcoat, to transfer ink jet images to fabric, to adhere embellishments to fabric, to make fabric fusible, to add texture to surfaces, and more. Wonderful stuff. (available at art supply stores...also at Michael's)

It does not become brittle or discolor with time and it is easy to stitch through wnen dry. When used as a sealant, it protects the sealed item from water and UV rays. Matte gel medium is all but invisible when dry. It also comes in gloss and semi-gloss.

To use as an adhesive, simply apply a thin coat to the back of the invitation with a foam brush or paintbrush and press it firmly to the fabric, weight it down if necessary while drying. Once dry, it can easily be sewn through, though it isn't necessary. Be sure to clean your brush throughly with soap and warm water before it dries...you won't be able to after.

nnewman 06-12-2011 11:33 AM

Thanks. I can't wait to try!

emsgranny 06-12-2011 11:48 AM

Bookmarked this page. thanks for the info. i would go with wedding colors or you could always add a few snapshots of the happy couple!!!