Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wedding Ring Quilt - Before I Get Started - Any Advice? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wedding-ring-quilt-before-i-get-started-any-advice-t220016.html)

Auntevie 04-26-2013 03:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]410225[/ATTACH]I just randomly threw fabrics up there, so they wont be placed in that order later. But this is the background fabric Im using. Hope this helps you. Do you guys think this will work OK?

Stitchnripper 04-26-2013 04:15 PM

I don't have any plans to make one of these, but, I do like your fabrics. Please post the finished quilt when it is done so we can admire it.

ragamuffin 04-26-2013 07:21 PM

Did you wash your batiks? They do fade. Especially if you are using a light background. My dd was engaged at Christmas and said they were getting married that May. Well, she did not know what pattern but she asked for browns and peaches. I had that thing cut out and pieced queen size in 3 months and had it quilted by my Amish friend ready for her shower. I did not have any trouble with it at all. Time was my only factor. I used I believe a Doris Yoder's clear plastic templates (out of TX I believe). I still have them somewhere. I did not have to consider the bias edges at all. I handled everything as usual. I cut the "melons" that you sew the fabric to. Count about how many you need. Then sew your strips together, remembering you have a top and bottom. Attach them to the melons. Then attach the four to a center piece and you just work from there. As I said, I found it really easy, a lot easier then the pineapple or some of the other squares. Good luck. Any questions, email me.

petthefabric 04-26-2013 09:07 PM

DWR was on my bucket list for a long (16yr) time. Finally I got started. Used a PP method. I'm an advanced quilted & after a small table runner, I marked the DWR off my bucket list.

So I recommend doing a small trial piece first. Ask DIL how she likes it. Make any adjustments. Then proceed with this experience behind you.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 04-26-2013 09:13 PM

Auntevie, I really like your background! Those fabrics really make an old fashioned quilt have a modern look. Excellent choices.

QuiltingCrazie 04-26-2013 11:07 PM

Love that one in blues.....I may have to do two!

Krystyna 04-27-2013 03:24 AM

Auntevie, it's beautiful!

Nammie to 7 04-27-2013 05:22 PM

The fabrics shown are beautiful - my recommendation is to take a class from a good teacher. There are little tips and tricks to the piecing. Accurate cutting and accurate piecing are a must. You go girl!

Gerbie 04-28-2013 02:46 AM

How about the Rings that Binds quilt by Cheryl Phillips. I made one several years ago for my DD, and it isn't that difficult to make. I just saw in an email from Annie's Catalog that she is now caring the book and it still has the arc in it, for $24.00 or maybe $24.95, not sure which, but a lot cheaper than I paid for mine, or what has in the last year or so shown on Amazon. Apparently this book was republished. I would recommend doing this quilt, as you don't have to cut all the little squares and each block is quilted as you go. You might want to check this out.P.M. me if you can't find this site and you are interested. Good luck. So sorry to hear about your loss from Sandy.

MargeD 04-28-2013 03:38 AM

Unless she insists on having lots of different fabrics, I would consider an alternative, where you make the double wedding ring, but using a solid ring, instead of a pieced one, they are just as lovely and would probably make the assembly of the quilt much easier. Just a suggestion.