Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wedding signature quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wedding-signature-quilt-t163145.html)

MarthaT 10-25-2011 11:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My daughter wants a quilt at her wedding that guests can sign. I'm thinking of just making the blocks for the wedding and then putting them together after the wedding. I plan to use fabrics left over from clothes I made for her when she was growing up. I will make it similar to the quilt in the picture. Using muslin for the signature area. Any suggestions of where to get quality muslin and what markers to use for the signatures? I think I will iron freezer paper on the back of the muslin to make it more stable to write on. Anyone done something like this? What hints can you give me?

kuseta 10-25-2011 11:10 AM

I've used Pigma pens for writing on quilts and labels. They are permanent, come in different colors and different tip/ink thicknesses.

QuiltnNan 10-25-2011 11:15 AM

I use ZIG memory system Millenium marker. permanent ink, archival, acid free, non bleeding. i got it at the office supply store. i've been very happy with it.

no1jan 10-25-2011 11:28 AM

I also use the ZIG markers. Just remember to set the ink with a hot dry iron before you wash the block or quilt.

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
I use ZIG memory system Millenium marker. permanent ink, archival, acid free, non bleeding. i got it at the office supply store. i've been very happy with it.

Glassquilt 10-25-2011 11:39 AM

Somehow indicate/limit the space for signatures in order to keep them out of the seams. Need to make it as idiot proof as possible for the few that don't understand.

blueangel 10-25-2011 12:11 PM

Neat

VaNella 10-25-2011 12:16 PM

My son and daughter in law got married in September. The mother of the bride designed a tree of life quilt. The wedding guests signed the "leaves." I am planning to put it together for their first anniversary.

Skittl1321 10-25-2011 12:28 PM

Definetly have guests sign squares to be assembled later, and not a finished quilt.

You do not want to risk that someone would do something stupid and ruin a quilt. (For example- most of the people I know who put cameras on tables either got a ton of pictures taken by children of their food, or a few "rude" pictures taken by drunk adults- I don't think anyone would TRY to ruin the quilt, but you just never know...)

Have 25-50% more squares than you think you need. People will feel pressure to sign perfectly, children might need more than one try.

Put up a sign that says to sign in the center of the square, unless you want to pre-piece squares to make only the center signable (to deal with the seam allowance issue).

I'd have a variety of pen colors, so people can be more individualized.

I've always gotten my muslin at fabric.com, but don't know if it is the quality you are looking for.

This is such an amazing idea!

nycquilter 10-25-2011 12:44 PM

also, you might want to back each square with freezer paper to stabilize the fabric making it much easier to write upon. I would also pencil in lines about 1/2" in from each edge to show the guests the area available for signing. I've used gelly roll pens which come in a ton of colors for this. Also, if people want to draw or color, crayola crayons are permanent after ironing to heat set.

AliKat 10-25-2011 06:36 PM

It would also help if you made several "frames" for the signature areas. People don't seem to know how to follow directions.

You might also want to assign someone at the table where you want to collect the signatures to help the guests sign their names.

I did a signature quilt collecting signatures of some really smart women. I had to have a few sign a second time with guidance. Brilliant career women couldn't follow verbal and written instructions ... but needed on on one help. Go figure.

ali