Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Weighted Blanket...anyone made one? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/weighted-blanket-anyone-made-one-t186999.html)

tngal22 04-24-2012 09:48 AM

Well I can't seem to post...this is my third attempt, lets see if this works.

Thanks Carrie and QuiltE! I will ask her therapist. I am one to research so I don't mind that part but I will make sure I do it correct first. And I made a chew toy for her, it is terry cloth since she likes wash cloths and minky for the strap for softness. I am washing it now. It isn't pretty but it was a trial run to see if she would like it.

QuiltE 04-24-2012 10:44 AM

Good Luck ... we'll look forward to hearing what you create.

I just had an idea ... and not sure if it's a good/bad one!
What about one of those lead covers they put over us at the dentist's office when they do X-Rays? It's heavy, not bulky ... and I wonder if they ever replace them and you could use it?

tngal22 04-24-2012 11:14 AM

I had thought about the weight belts/sacks, the ones that you put in to add extra weight for you, wonder if they came in 1lb so I could use them in the columns for easy removal. Have to look into that. I have some other ideas, just will have to see what I can find to use.

CarrieC 04-24-2012 11:25 AM

Another thing to research. They have weighted vests. Our GD didn't want ANYTHING to do with that so I didn't do too much research with that. But it is a thought.

tngal22 04-24-2012 12:03 PM

I have a friend that has a vest I could borrow. I just don't know if she would like that as much as a blanket.

misskira 04-24-2012 12:22 PM

If she's a chewer... Food grade refrigerator tubing is fantastic. String it on some yarn if you want. The downside is it acts like a straw for saliva to come out, the upside is its nice and durable. We used them in the classroom since they are discreet and not baby looking. Ps and Q's are also great, you can get them on amazon.

For some kids, a full blanket isn't required. A snake or lap weight like mentioned above can be plenty. Also, they start to lose their effect with time for some kids, so we usually do 20ish minutes on and then 20ish minutes off.

Another favorite squish for some kids is to lay on a mat or blanket and have a yoga ball rolled on their body. The OT should be able to help with that too. We use it as scheduled sensory time for some kids and others like it for deescalating after a stressful time.

misskira 04-24-2012 12:24 PM

Vests are super easy to make... Buy a thrift store denim vest and sew pockets on the inside, and put those premade weights you talked about in it or some home made ones.

tngal22 04-24-2012 12:51 PM

Thanks! She seems to like the terry cloth "necklace" thus far, but we shall see how it goes after the newness wears off.

And thanks for the info!

Neesie 04-24-2012 01:13 PM

To make the weighted blanket grow-friendly, you could leave a narrow tube, alongside each stuffed one. When you need to add weight, you can fill those extra tubes.

tngal22 04-24-2012 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 5166928)
To make the weighted blanket grow-friendly, you could leave a narrow tube, alongside each stuffed one. When you need to add weight, you can fill those extra tubes.

Oooh, good idea.

I am thinking of using some king size pillow cases as the tubing part of the blanket, then make a cover that so it can be removed to be washed. Someone mentioned something like that earlier.