Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Well I feel like an idiot (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/well-i-feel-like-idiot-t60950.html)

TX GMimi 08-25-2010 03:03 AM

Oops! Think I'd toss the iron and get another one. I did something similar when very, very tired! I used the can of compressed air to clean out my serger. Right? Wrong!! It was spray adhesive! Ouch!!:( Now I really pay attention to the container!

foxxigrani 08-25-2010 04:18 AM

I was going to suggest vinegar too, it works for everything lol. But if that doesn't work do to the store and get some iron cleaner, they have that. Clean according to directions, then I would fill and dump a few times anyway. I am a over achiever. Hope the vinegar works good luck. Oh by the way, I happen to be the master of all goof ups so don't worry about it.

Rita

colorfulgrammy 08-25-2010 05:10 AM

try vinegar & water; more vinegar than water; leave the iron on for a while, at least 1 hour, occassionally turning it to allow it to steam. Then dump what is left, rinse and dump, rinse & dump, then try just water & steam. :wink:

OmaForFour 08-25-2010 05:33 AM

There are products on the market for cleaning the insides of irons to get the white buildup of lime out of them. I don't know the names but perhaps your local hardware store - like a True Value - could help you.

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
Today I poured about a 1/4 cup of water in my iron and went along my merry way. A few minutes later I noticed a funny smell, but I thought it was some starch that had oversprayed on the ironing board. Later it was worse and I suddenly realized that what I thought was water was flat Sprite.

I rinsed the iron out as well as I could just by pouring water in and dumping it out again, but is there any way to get the inside of the iron clean?

chamby 08-25-2010 06:03 AM

Today I poured about a 1/4 cup of water in my iron and went along my merry way. A few minutes later I noticed a funny smell, but I thought it was some starch that had oversprayed on the ironing board. Later it was worse and I suddenly realized that what I thought was water was flat Sprite.

I rinsed the iron out as well as I could just by pouring water in and dumping it out again, but is there any way to get the inside of the iron clean?

Not trying to be ugly. But I just had to laugh. LOL

polly13 08-25-2010 06:45 AM

White vinegar solution always gets me out of my mistakes.

Aunt Bea 08-25-2010 07:10 AM

Through the years I have spent oodles of $$$ on "special" irons only to be disappointed in performance or length of service. I only use a dry iron and a little spritz of water if necessary, never steam when quilting. My latest iron cost $10 at Walmart so when I get mad at it, it will just go in the trash. It's already lasted longer than the last $80 iron.

Moon Holiday 08-25-2010 07:35 AM

Have you tried adding a little vinegar to the water you're putting in the iron? It will clean out the sugar and any other stuff built up inside. You just gotta keep steaming on fabric until nothing shows up any longer. I use a real old towel and then I toss the towel in the laundry... most of the time the stuff on the towel washes out.... especially if I use Oxyclean.

MaggieLou 08-25-2010 08:09 AM

I did the same thing once only it was 7 UP not Sprite. It really gives you a stupid feeling. :)

joann hussey 08-25-2010 08:25 AM

try white vinegar it helps cleaning the iorn