Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wendover material (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wendover-material-t223773.html)

Battle Axe 06-17-2013 04:08 AM

Use Shout Color Catchers. They are at Wal-mart in a box of 24 for under $4.00. I'd use THE ENTIRE BOX if it was bleeding badly and wash in the hottest water you have. I know that is overkill, but you are trying to KILL something.

Marcia

feline fanatic 06-17-2013 04:17 AM

I am somewhat dismayed at how much people recommend color catchers here for bleeding fabric. People, color catchers do NOT stop bleeding dye. They are merely a conduit for absorbing the loose dye in the wash water so it doesn't go onto other fabrics. You are only treating a symptom with color catchers, not the problem. Additionally I have an acquantance who works for Consumer Reports. She is actually a scientist and was the tester for this product. Her results were not overly positive for color catchers. Here is the result: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...view/index.htm

I like Jan's idea then I would treat both the bleeder and the newly dyed fabric with Synthropol to set the dye.

quilt queen 06-17-2013 04:49 AM

Great idea Jan...I need to try that, have a large amt if white scrapes...thanks for sharing!

gramquilter2 06-17-2013 07:05 AM

My LQS recommended "Retayne" which is a color fixative for fabric. They said you can also use it on dark Levi's so they keep the dark color. I have used it on a red and white quilt and it worked no red/pink on the white fabric. Color Catchers keep the color from bleeding onto other fabrics but will not stop the bleeding.

carrie glover12586 06-17-2013 07:17 AM

Vinegar, been around along time. Way before any of the new stuff. Wash as usual using Vinegar in the last rinse sets colors Also great fabric softerner. No residual order.

RedGarnet222 06-17-2013 07:21 AM

I totally agree with carrie. Vinegar sets color, my long ago passed aunt taught me that when I was a child. LOL... a few years ago.

She also said that there were wonderful dye recipes that didn't run ever and held color like iron. But, these were lost in world war II. Such a shame they haven't somehow found and surfaced after all these years.

tessagin 06-17-2013 07:21 AM

Wash in hot water and use color catchers (Tide). I would also do a second wash and if you can rinse in hot water to be sure or throw in a white cloth when you get ready to rinse. If it bleeds in cold water, it will really bleed in hot water. If this continues get in touch with the manufacturer. Ask for your money back. I purchased some Wendover material that was green and white for St. Patrick's day costume. I sent all 3 yards back. I was informed to use cold water wash. It still bled and onto my hands after drying. never will purchase Wendover again. Took me 3 months to get my money back.

quiltmau 06-17-2013 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by carrie glover12586 (Post 6127282)
Vinegar, been around along time. Way before any of the new stuff. Wash as usual using Vinegar in the last rinse sets colors Also great fabric softener. No residual order.

This is so true-I use it every time I wash due to hard water and soap retention. Vinegar works wonderful to get the soap and odds odors out of fabric. DGM used it and I use it and my DDIL used it.

feline fanatic 06-17-2013 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by gramquilter2 (Post 6127236)
My LQS recommended "Retayne" which is a color fixative for fabric. They said you can also use it on dark Levi's so they keep the dark color. I have used it on a red and white quilt and it worked no red/pink on the white fabric. Color Catchers keep the color from bleeding onto other fabrics but will not stop the bleeding.

My Bad, you are correct. I meant Retayne, that is the dye fixative. Synthropol is if you have a bleeder already sewn in the quilt, it keeps the loose dye suspended in the water.

feline fanatic 06-17-2013 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by carrie glover12586 (Post 6127282)
Vinegar, been around along time. Way before any of the new stuff. Wash as usual using Vinegar in the last rinse sets colors Also great fabric softerner. No residual order.

Vinegar has been around a long time but the dyes used today have not and vinegar will NOT set them. vinegar will only set natural plant based dyes. Not chemical. For chemical dyes you need chemical fixatives. Your grandmothers methods of using salt and or vinegar will have no effect on modern commercial dyes.