Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   We've come a long way in 18 years (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/weve-come-long-way-18-years-t133143.html)

GagaSmith 06-25-2011 05:06 PM

I was looking for information on making quilt labels and checked my old (copywrite 1993) "Quilter's Complete Guide" by Fons and Porter. They told how to iron muslin to freezer paper and put it in the TYPEWRITER. A manual typewriter would work better than an electric! Has it been such a short time that we've relied on computers?

emerald46 06-25-2011 05:08 PM

Hard to believe!

AFQSinc 06-25-2011 05:10 PM

That is funny. It reminds me of when my best friend got her new computer. I think it was probably around 1995 or 1996? Anyway, she was telling me about this "really fun thing" that you could do with it: You could go into a 'room' and talk to other people all over the world! I remember being completely disinterested and saying, "Why would you want to talk to complete strangers on a computer when you can just pick up the phone and talk to people you know?" Times certainly have changed!

TonnieLoree 06-25-2011 05:15 PM

That is a blast from the past alright!

sueisallaboutquilts 06-25-2011 05:20 PM

Wow, the time really flies, things change, and we just go along for the ride!!!!! :D:D

spartan quilter 06-25-2011 05:30 PM

And aren't we all the better for it? I can't imagine where I would be in my quilting knowledge, if I wasn't able to connect with all of the great people on this board.

wannaquilt1 06-25-2011 05:37 PM

Yup I had a typewriter in college in 93. I also then upgraded to a word proccessor after that lol. I typed on the screan then when I was ready to print it would type out the whole page and was really loud. I also had to load each piece of paper one at a time before it would type (as it was printing). It was pretty bad now that I look back lol.

Ramona Byrd 06-25-2011 06:23 PM

I still have my Macintosh 512, born in 1985. I remember how thrilled my whole family were to see bouncing balls running over the screen AND YOU COULD CONTROL THEM WITH THE MOUSE!!!

Boy, what a thrill. And my son played with the Piloting game, it was so realistic that you could get sea sick landing a twin wing plane on a ship at sea. In fact, his ability with a computer got him into the officer's office to work their computers, since they had not much practice with them. He also commented on how everyone stood around and gazed in wonder at their new hard disk that held so much information. It was EIGHTY MGs of holding power.
------------------------------------------------------
From the Internet about computers then. We HAVE come a long
way since then.
(it holds 80 megabytes - 80 million characters - of data, roughly the equivalent of 48,000 double-spaced, typewritten pages). That may seem a lot, but hard disks work just like attics: as more space becomes available, more junk materializes to fill it.

Painiacs 06-25-2011 07:56 PM

Wow! Memories!!

sueisallaboutquilts 06-26-2011 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by spartan quilter
And aren't we all the better for it? I can't imagine where I would be in my quilting knowledge, if I wasn't able to connect with all of the great people on this board.

I totally agree!!!!!!!! I've thought this many times!! :thumbup: :thumbup: