Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What’s Up With This Ruler? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what%92s-up-ruler-t305626.html)

Libits 07-06-2019 05:03 AM

What’s Up With This Ruler?

1 Attachment(s)
I usually by Fiskar’s rulers but I found a size I wanted by Omnigrip. It’ll work OK for some things but for precision measurement, no. What’s up with the heavy shading over the lines? It really impairs seeing an accurate measurement. The shading itself is ¼” and you can’t see the fabric through it. Am I being crabby or does anyone else find this annoying?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]614563[/ATTACH]

RJ 07-06-2019 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Libits (Post 8273968)
I usually by Fiskar’s rulers but I found a size I wanted by Omnigrip. It’ll work OK for some things but for precision measurement, no. What’s up with the heavy shading over the lines? It really impairs seeing an accurate measurement. The shading itself is ¼” and you can’t see the fabric through it. Am I being crabby or does anyone else find this annoying?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]614563[/ATTACH]

I totally agree----I have one of these and I find it too *busy*

juliasb 07-06-2019 05:58 AM

My understanding, and I paid extra for this, is it is suppose to be a "gripper" to hold onto the fabric when cutting. It does not work IMHO. I have only seen one true gripping ruler and right now it is on my list of things to buy. Quilter's Select and it does grip firmly. I tried it at a trunk show once. They sold out way to fast.

Jennifer23 07-06-2019 06:17 AM

I hate Omnigrip rulers for exactly this reason. You can see the edge of the fabric (kind of) if it has a strong colour contrast with the cutting mat, but the markings are usually just impossible. And they don't grip.

Iceblossom 07-06-2019 06:19 AM

I have vision issues and have a lot of problems reading the rulers. It can help to slip a piece of paper (I like envelopes for the extra crispness and I usually have them easily available) under the cut side that contrasts with the fabric, so if it is dark use a regular white envelope, if it is light find a colored one. I figured out that hack years ago when I was using a piece of fabric that was exactly Olfa green and using that brand of ruler!

Years ago when I tried various grippers/rulers with grippers I didn't like them much. I preferred having the slide factor for a number of reasons, as well as being able to use either side of the ruler. I do on occasion use the removable sandpaper dots to hold small rulers/templates well.

About a year ago after a similar thread here I found an old Quilter's Rule at the Goodwill. It has become my go-to 6.5" long ruler. Love the grip on it. There is another lady in my group who is a fan of gripping rulers, she brought some clear tape stuff she has to put on regular rulers.

Chester the bunny 07-06-2019 06:21 AM

I learned to quilt using this ruler, so I guess I'm just used to it. I find it easier to use on any color of fabric and mats. Sometimes I find it harder to see the markings if they have a single black or blue line like some of my other rulers. Especially on black or blue fabric.

Libits 07-06-2019 06:55 AM

I'm headed to the basement to see if i can find some paint remover. I'll let you know how it goes.

Tartan 07-06-2019 06:59 AM

​I suspect it will not go well with paint remover. Cautiously use a q-tip with remover in a small spot. It may remove all the lines or cause the ruler to go cloudy.

tallchick 07-06-2019 07:04 AM

I too have this Omnigrid ruler and it’s in a box waiting to be sent to the goodwill, glad to know I’m not the only who dislikes it!

Libits 07-06-2019 07:17 AM

Well, who but me didn’t see That coming? Yep, it took off the green shading but Tartan was right…it took off the other markings, too, and melted part of the plastic. Plus it messed up my nails.