Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is 100% "Dress" cotton? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-100%25-dress-cotton-t243479.html)

Teddybear Lady 03-18-2014 06:01 PM

What is 100% "Dress" cotton?

100% Dress Cotton...

I saw this description about a fabric I found online. Can I use it in quilts with my other cotton fabrics?
Debbie

Jeanne S 03-18-2014 07:22 PM

I don't think I have heard that term before but don't see why you couldn't use it in a quilt. You might try to find out if the texture is what you want to use in your quilt because 100% cottons can have very different textures; think about cotton canvas, cotton duck, etc that have a very different feel and texture compared to finely woven quilting cottons. The "dress" cotton may be like a brushed cotton or cotton sateen?

bearisgray 03-18-2014 07:30 PM

House dresses and aprons used to be made from fabrics verymuch like today's " quilting cottons".

Teddybear Lady 03-18-2014 08:54 PM

Thank you for your help. I think I'll stick to fabric I can touch and feel. haha

GrannieAnnie 03-18-2014 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Teddybear Lady (Post 6633720)
100% Dress Cotton...

I saw this description about a fabric I found online. Can I use it in quilts with my other cotton fabrics?
Debbie

Can you tell us where you found the "dress" cotton. Seeing it ourselves may give us a better idea of what's being described

earthwalker 03-18-2014 10:03 PM

Here dress cotton is a little lighter weight than quilting cotton. I have used it in string quilts.

DOTTYMO 03-18-2014 11:22 PM

I purchased here in UK 100/ cotton fabric when I began quilting. It turned out to be curtain and dress fabric. Either I know now too heavy or too light. I did make some quilts with it, had to, but do see the difference.

Knitette 03-19-2014 01:35 AM

My understanding of 'dress' cotton is that it is lighter and smoother than quilting cotton. It has a different, softer, drape than quilting cotton and will handle a little differently.

Quilting cotton is manufactured so that the fabric 'grips' when placed right sides together (although some may argue about how well, lol).

I've used it in a 'Warm Wishes' without too much difficulty and have purchased more for bag/purse linings.

Teddybear Lady 03-19-2014 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 6633886)
Can you tell us where you found the "dress" cotton. Seeing it ourselves may give us a better idea of what's being described

The fabric I saw was at www.stitch-n-frame.net in the online catalog section labeled "Fabric Finders". It's the second box. Here is the description...Style-Cherries, Color-Blue
60" wide 100% Cotton Dress Fabric
DRES47A Retail price $13.95 a yard
Sale was $12.56 a yard
Now $6.99 a yard

I just thought it was pretty fabric.
Thanks for all your comments.

notmorecraft 03-19-2014 11:56 PM

I know many people use mens cotton shirts which is probably dress cotton, and dresses and skirts from charity shops, which are probably dress cottons. Like quilting cotton there will be differences in weight and feel and the only way to know if you like it is when you get some and do you like the feel? Is it too thin? Too stiff (like upholstery cotton). I think what I'm trying to say is you might like it for quilting, you might not, same way as what you like might not suit me. If you can afford to buy some and risk not liking it, go for it and try it for yourself.