Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what am i doing wrong? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-am-i-doing-wrong-t128289.html)

wenot 06-05-2011 02:36 PM

I am pretty new at quilting and i wanted to do some fmq on a small top i made. I have practised some simple stippling on mugrugs without problems.
When i started it was fine, but very shortly after i started, my sewing machine (anker, dutch brand) started skipping stitches..
I checked everything, stitch length, thread tension, etc., nothing worked. So i took out my other sewing machine, a Janome 3030, wich had just come back from servicing, and that did the same? I have really no idea how to fix this, especially because it was fine in the beginning and on smaller mugrugs too...Anybody has any ideas? I have a fmq foot, but that does not seem to touch the fabric, does it have to? i cant lower it any further, it is fit for both my machines according to the store i bought it from..
Any help or tips are appreciated.

virtualbernie 06-05-2011 02:41 PM

Maybe your larger quilt is pulling? You could use more support to handle the weight of the quilt. Try putting a table beside you to hold the weight of the quilt.

quilticing 06-05-2011 02:45 PM

The free-motion foot should go up and down with the needle. Maybe the timing wasn't checked at the shop.

wenot 06-05-2011 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by quilticing
The free-motion foot should go up and down with the needle. Maybe the timing wasn't checked at the shop.

I am not sure if it does, maybe i don't have the foot on correctly? I thought theres just one way to put that foot on..
What is timing, sorry, my english is fine but not familiar with all sewing terms in english..

wenot 06-05-2011 02:48 PM

sorry..double post

wenot 06-05-2011 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
Maybe your larger quilt is pulling? You could use more support to handle the weight of the quilt. Try putting a table beside you to hold the weight of the quilt.

Maybe..Allthough i had it rolled up and on a large table right next to the machine, it wasn't hanging down.. Plus i started at a corner and wasn't very far yet ( still not done unpicking tho)

virtualbernie 06-05-2011 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie

Your fmq doesn't touch the fabric so that you can freely move the fabric around.

slovard01 06-05-2011 02:56 PM

Be sure you have an new needle, too. If it is bent the least little bit, you can skip stitches.

Qbee 06-05-2011 03:02 PM

I know for me....once I "get going" I tend to speed up and that will make it skip...if your hands are pushing the quilt through to fast I mean.

Little RoO 06-05-2011 03:11 PM

Hi..I am also new to FMQ and I had real problems with my first quilt although my sample blocks were fine....I have since realised the following...

1. The Weight of the large quilt was so different it pulled and I pushed and it was really hard to get the quilt to move smoothly. I unrolled the quilt and had it all bunched up with it supported on the desk and my lap....this worked much better, just working on a small bit at a time and I worked from the centre outwards.

2. Tension...I had real problems because I choose King Tut thread which is lovely but I didn't realise you need to have the right needle for the cotton...but most importantly don't jerk the fabric otherwise the stitching will jump! Also I kept forgetting to put the dog feed down !

3. Speed...I had to go a totally different speed...this I think is personal choice and trial and error but it was really different from my sample blocks.

I have since gone on to FMQ three cot quilts and each time it is getting better, much neater and I feel far more in control....I think it is all about practice but doing a proper quilt is very different to small blocks

Good Luck...I keep reading on this board it is all about practice...practice...practice and everyone is right