Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What are the bare essentials for making a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-bare-essentials-making-quilt-t290284.html)

jmoore 08-10-2017 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S (Post 7882649)
My essentials would be a sewing machine, rotary cutter, mat and 24" ruler, pins and a seam ripper.

Besides the simple things...I would love to have more time to quilt!

Ariannaquilts 08-10-2017 04:34 AM

I think it's funny that only one person said they would need batting, I know you could make a quilt without the batting if you wanted but let's face it you really are going to need it at some point!

mindless 08-10-2017 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 7882654)
i remember reading a story of times long ago in which there was one sewing needle that was shared by all of the neighbors. the little girl had dropped it in the woods... took forever to find it.

Might be easier to catch a porcupine and make a dozen quill needles instead. Just sayin'.... :D

SusieQOH 08-10-2017 02:54 PM

If I could only have the absolute bare essentials I would need fabric, scissors, template (cardboard etc) and pins, oh and needle and thread. I guess it could be done, just hard to imagine.

greaterexp 08-10-2017 03:17 PM

I learned the old-fashioned way. Cardboard template, cutting each piece out by hand, marking the sewing lines with a pencil, and all hand piecing and hand quilting. I did get a water soluble marker for mating the quilting design. Of course, that was 200 years ago. (Slight exaggeration) I thought I'd gone to heaven when I got a rotary cutter. I still love hand quilting, and the slower process helped me appreciate antique quilts ever so much more.

Claire123 09-08-2017 12:19 AM

Depends on your definition of essential... You really could make a quilt with just fabric, scissors, thread a needles if you English Paper Piece enough hexagons.

JustAbitCrazy 09-08-2017 04:21 AM

Jane Stickle made her famous quilt while she was bed bound. I guess that's why she had the time to make it.

NZquilter 09-08-2017 11:48 AM

My first quilts were made with just fabric, handsewing needles, thread, scissors, ruler and homemade templates (made from plastic milk jugs). Then I got a sewing machine for my 16th birthday. I didn't buy my first rotary cutter until several quilts later.

petthefabric 09-09-2017 08:55 PM

Just to settle in, I need music, iced drink, light. Oh, air conditioning and a fan (the iron makes the room hot). Clothing doesn't matter but pajamas are nice. Then either great inspiration (like a deadline, or 1-5 previously started projects hanging on design walls, or a challenge). 100 lbs!!!!!! More like 2 tons fabric, nicely place so I can pet them now and then. A 5 drawer cabinet full of thread, so I can get what I want when I want. 2-5 sets of tools (scissors, pins, ripper, awl) stratigically placed around the room, they keep getting lost, under something, etc.. My favorite sewing machine-Brother 1500S with tools. Cutting table with favorite 6-10 templates, rotary cutter. Iron/big board.

I like potato chips, but they make my hands greasy. So chocolate is an OK substitute.

At some point it'll need to be finished, so batting. Needle/thread/thimble, magnifying glasses. Glue.

OK, maybe I'm spoiled. Quilting is for fun. When I'm on a trip, it's stripped to a bare minimum. And fellowship is substituted for things. And someone else cooks and cleans.

Feathers-N-Fur 09-10-2017 09:35 AM

Love it!😀👍😀👍 Now this is modern quilting. Those are my essentials as well.

Originally Posted by petthefabric (Post 7903468)
Just to settle in, I need music, iced drink, light. Oh, air conditioning and a fan (the iron makes the room hot). Clothing doesn't matter but pajamas are nice. Then either great inspiration (like a deadline, or 1-5 previously started projects hanging on design walls, or a challenge). 100 lbs!!!!!! More like 2 tons fabric, nicely place so I can pet them now and then. A 5 drawer cabinet full of thread, so I can get what I want when I want. 2-5 sets of tools (scissors, pins, ripper, awl) stratigically placed around the room, they keep getting lost, under something, etc.. My favorite sewing machine-Brother 1500S with tools. Cutting table with favorite 6-10 templates, rotary cutter. Iron/big board.

I like potato chips, but they make my hands greasy. So chocolate is an OK substitute.

At some point it'll need to be finished, so batting. Needle/thread/thimble, magnifying glasses. Glue.

OK, maybe I'm spoiled. Quilting is for fun. When I'm on a trip, it's stripped to a bare minimum. And fellowship is substituted for things. And someone else cooks and cleans.