Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what batting should i choose ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-batting-should-i-choose-t182277.html)

Honey58 03-10-2012 06:50 AM

what batting should i choose ?

Where I live, the climate is similar to that of Florida in the USA..
while on a short visit here I need to buy batting for 2 queen size quilts..never bought any as these are my first attempts..please suggest what batting I must buy as our winters are short and not too cold .
also will probably be washing them at the end of each winter before putting them away coz its dusty..besides little g'kids, dogs & cats lay claim to our beds ...and hearts
oh ..another pt.. will hv to hand quilt..a simple stitch in the ditch is all i will be able to do.
and a heartfelt " thank you " in advance for any suggestions given.

joyce j 03-10-2012 07:25 AM

I use Warm & Natural. Like it very much . The quilts on my beds get washed about every two weeks , an are still holding up. So that is what I suggest. Good luck with your quilts. joyce j

Tweety2911 03-10-2012 07:29 AM

I also mostly use Warm & Natural. Sometimes I use Hobbs Polydown 80/20.
I have tried Quilter's Dream and that is also a lovely product. It all comes down to personal preferance. Hope this helps a little :)

hperttula123 03-10-2012 07:30 AM

I use warm and natural and hobbs heirloom. They both are not to heavy of a batting and will work for warm climates. Hand quilting will be fine on them also.
Most of my quilts are warm and natural and I am a washer. I can't tell you how many times some of my quilts have been washed. They hold up great. Good luck with your quilts!!! :)

Lori S 03-10-2012 07:32 AM

Warm and natural is good choice as contrary to its name its really not that warm. Warm and natural does not require alot of quilting( 10 inches) . I also like Cream Rose or White Rose made by Mountain Mist for very light weight cotton batting, but it requires quilting every 6 inches. White or cream rose are wonderful for hand quilting.

quiltsRfun 03-10-2012 07:41 AM

How about using flannel as batting? Just a thought.

Scissor Queen 03-10-2012 07:43 AM

Warm and Natural should be your very last choice!! It's hard to hand quilt and it's heavy. I'd go with Quilter's Dream's thinnest weight or one of the newer soy-cotton or bamboo-cotton battings. I just bought some Pellon Legacy Soy-Cotton batting and it's very thin and very lightweight. You can quilt it up to 8 inches apart. One of my friends had a quilt fairly heavily quilted by a longarm quilter with the soy-cotton batting and it's still quite soft and drapeable.

patchsamkim 03-10-2012 08:11 AM

I love the Quilter's Dream batting and the different weights you can get it in. I usually use the select weight...but you can use whatever is your preference.

Quiltngolfer 03-10-2012 08:24 AM

I prefer Quilter's Dream. It is very lightweight and great for hand quilting.

QuiltnNan 03-10-2012 08:55 AM

my favorite is warm and natural, but i don't hand quilt.