Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What batting should I use for my Marimekko quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-batting-should-i-use-my-marimekko-quilt-t280480.html)

charlottequilts 07-16-2016 03:49 PM

Are you planning to long-arm it? If not, I'd definitely recommend the thinnest Quilter's Dream cotton. I switched to the one just one step up (select?) last time and noticed a definite difference in the weight and thickness of the sandwiched quilt. It was a lot harder to get it through my DSM. At least, in that case.

Hugs,
charlotte

Janan 07-16-2016 04:09 PM

Very interesting thread, Prism99. Thank you!

Janan 07-16-2016 04:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I will be quilting it on my machine.[ATTACH=CONFIG]554074[/ATTACH]

The butterfly on the white squares
Loops and loopy hearts everywhere else, although I may change this to simple stippling. And I'm not sure where "everywhere else" should actually be. Yikes?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554075[/ATTACH]

BTW, this is my first time FMQ a motif. Also my first time such a big quilt.

Quite a challenge, huh! I will be doing a lot of practicing before I actually start the real thing, so advice is welcome!

SaveSave

Janan 07-16-2016 04:24 PM

I sent an email to Quilter's dream with pictures and asked their advice. I am leaning on the thinnest cotton, since my backing is dark in color I am afraid of the wool bearding. I'm allergic to wool myself and hate to have it against my flesh.

Great posts! I've never heard of bearding, nor used wool, so good reading.

joe'smom 07-16-2016 06:10 PM

I was going to agree with the suggestion of wool, since one of your concerns is the weight of the quilt. Wool batting has the most loft, which means air, so it will make the quilt feel lighter than a cotton bat would. But the bearding is a concern if the backing is dark, so maybe Quilter's Dream Cotton would be the way to go, unless you would consider changing the backing to a lighter color. I think the quilt is beautiful, as is your quilted butterfly!

Donnasue 07-17-2016 04:49 AM

That is beautiful. I have never heard of those fabrics, but they go so well with stark white.

AZ Jane 07-17-2016 05:36 AM

Many summer weight quilts do not have batting, or maybe flannel??

asabrinao 07-17-2016 09:05 AM

Wow. I love this quilt. If there are imperfections, I can't see 'em.

A lot of people are suggesting Dream Wool, which would be lovely--I agree. But, have you considered Dream Orient? It's a little pricey, especially for a bigger quilt, but I've used it and lot it. It's lightweight and silk is cool in the summer and warm in cold weather. I used to swear by Dream Wool and still use it a lot, but I prefer silk now. The softness and drape is just exquisite.

VMRooks 07-17-2016 10:14 AM

Hi,
No suggestion on the batting but what pattern did you use to make this quilt? It is very nice!

caspharm 07-17-2016 10:40 AM

I have used Wool and Bamboo. Bamboo would be another cool, lightweight option. I live in LV and made a quilt for our bed with 2 batts: one wool and one bamboo. It is very light. It didn't crinkle, either.