Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what batting size do you use for children's quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-batting-size-do-you-use-childrens-quilts-t107569.html)

chairjogger 03-14-2011 07:36 AM

I have been using the craft 35 x 40 batting.

did my first "crib size" and thought it to be sort of big.

35 x 40 is "just right" for my little ones at Children's..

anyone else have a view? ready to read about it.

Thanks !

chairjogger 03-14-2011 07:55 AM

oops 36 x 45..

Holice 03-14-2011 08:16 AM

I discovered long ago that kid's quilts have to be large enough to cover the kid but not too big for the bed. Gave me lots of flexibility between the two.
Therefore I get batting by the 93" wide roll and cut it about 37"x half or 46". Quilts are usualy about 36"x width of the fabric.

chairjogger 03-14-2011 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
I discovered long ago that kid's quilts have to be large enough to cover the kid but not too big for the bed. Gave me lots of flexibility between the two.
Therefore I get batting by the 93" wide roll and cut it about 37"x half or 46". Quilts are usualy about 36"x width of the fabric.

Great idea !! thanks !

Lobster 03-14-2011 08:53 AM

I find the 45" x 60" to be a good size, though it depends on the quilt top of course. Some are square, some are rectangular, but they're generally around that size. I'm hand-quilting and always allow 4" all the way round, so the biggest quilt I could get out of that batting would be 37" x 54".

chairjogger 03-14-2011 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lobster
I find the 45" x 60" to be a good size, though it depends on the quilt top of course. Some are square, some are rectangular, but they're generally around that size. I'm hand-quilting and always allow 4" all the way round, so the biggest quilt I could get out of that batting would be 37" x 54".

used that size last. It is hard to handle in my machine.. I think that is "crib size" have to look.
last quilt was crib size. and yes, it went fast too.. hmm. will have to think about this..
I make them for children's hospital they take all sizes and never recommend size, but I notice when I went back to by more batting that I need to know a size. and have been using "craft size" so, wanted to wait and find out from here before I started another quilt top. I have also done a few for incubators of newborns too.
thanks for posting !

Lobster 03-14-2011 09:12 AM

Baby quilts are usable at any size, and different sizes find different uses, but I've always been told that the small ones (e.g. craft size) are really a bit limited and aren't useful for long.

quilter1943 03-14-2011 09:14 AM

I usually buy king size and cut them up as I need them unless I'm buying is for a specific quilt - a queen quilt and a queen batting. My sizes seem to be however they turn out unless I'm using a pattern for something.

AliKat 03-14-2011 10:04 AM

I buy my batting in bulk via the net. So I cut it to size for each and every quilt. The only exception is when I am quilting for others who might supply their own batting ... or pay for me to buy the size required and type batting they want.

ali

mom-6 03-14-2011 10:09 AM

I tend to do 45x60 for kids quilts since that size will take them till they've outgrown the fabric used. And even for preteens or teens it is a good size for snuggling under on the couch.

I've found that getting larger batting and cutting it to size is often cheaper in the long run however.