Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the best batting ? Type - Brand? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-best-batting-type-brand-t158875.html)

ksea 10-09-2011 04:54 AM

Warm and natural has a warm and white, it would be perfect for your project!

ghostrider 10-09-2011 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by pinecone

Originally Posted by phoenixrose
I've used Hobb's and Quilter's Dream and have been happy with them but am going with Pellon Legacy brand of battings - love them!

Are these available by the yard in stores?

piney

By the yard, yes. Online, yes. In stores, maybe not. Check local longarmers, as some LAers are selling battings by the yard online. (replies are for all three brands)

Steady Stiching 10-09-2011 05:11 AM

I keep Warm and White on hand for projects such as wallhangings and bags.
I prefer Quilters Dream for bedding quilts, Select brand for Summer quilts and Deluxe for winter quilts. It is more expensive but when it comes to something I'm going to sleep under or give to someone else to sleep under coupled with how much money i've sunk in the quilt already, it seems like a good bet to spend the extra money if you can.

cdufur 10-09-2011 05:16 AM

Thanks for this info. I use Warm and Natural, but have never tried Warm Blend or Soft & Bright.

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Yes, they both shrink equally ...
Warm & White = 3%
Warm & Natural = 3%
Warm Blend = less than 1%
Soft & Bright = 0%

For more info and to compare further, you could go to their site --
http://www.warmcompany.com/

matraina 10-09-2011 05:36 AM

I'm curious as to what the space between needle and other side is to be able to quilt a queen-size quilt.

quiltingaz 10-09-2011 05:59 AM

try www.batt-mart.com for rolls of batting

Lucky Lindy 10-09-2011 06:15 AM

warm and white

pjnesler 10-09-2011 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I don't know about Warm and White. I no longer use Warm and Natural because I don't like the stiffness of the drape. In general I stay away from battings that are needlepunched through scrim for that reason.

Hobs 80/20 is a wonderful batting if you like a little loft. It is very soft and machine quilts beautifully. Shrinkage is about 3%, which is a typical shrinkage amount for the soft crinkled look in quilts.

Quilter's Dream cotton is a flatter batting that is also very good. 3% shrinkage. It is needlepunched, but not through scrim, which makes the cotton stable but not stiff. It is typically a lower loft than Hobbs 80/20.

My personal favorite is Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon 100% cotton batting. This is a very traditional thin batting that is not needlepunched, so it needs to be quilted very closely (about 2 inches apart). This batting produces a quilt very similar to antique quilts.

All of these battings are easy to machine quilt. The cotton in them helps the batting "stick" to the fabric so you don't get shifting. They also take spray basting easily (a big plus for me!).

These are the only three brands of batting I will purchase. There may be other good ones out there, but I've noticed that many of the "off" brands, including generic ones on rolls in the store, often don't feel right to me. I don't want to go to a lot of work only to be unhappy with the batting quality.

WOW! everyone - thanks for the great information, exactly why I asked the question! It's so hard to decide when you see so many options in the store, I knew all the quilters on the board would help me figure this out!

Shayna 10-09-2011 07:14 AM

What is best in your opinion for an ispy quilt

Delilah 10-09-2011 08:43 AM

I have recently discovered wool batting and love it, particularly for larger quilts because of the loft, suppleness, and drape. Bamboo/cotton is nice but had a bit of a problem with bearding in loosely woven fabric, would work great in batiks. Cut my teeth on Warm & Natural and Warm & White and will continue to use it but not my first choice any longer. Bought a roll of Dream Wool from LQS for $10/yard which I considered pretty reasonable, that was last year. Like Hobbs wool products, also. Lots to consider!