Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Are Big Box Fabrics Really Good For? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-big-box-fabrics-really-good-t305693.html)

Sharonquilts 07-10-2019 01:48 PM

Hancocks and Ben Franklins were my "go to" stores for fabric (both a 10 min. drive for me). They closed a couple years ago in my area. I could always find something that inspired me in both of these stores and the fabrics I purchased where good quality. (When I shop for fabric, I like to buy everything I need to make the quilt including the backing.) I shopped Mary Jo's (1 hr away) when I needed 20 different fabrics for a Bargello ... but from reviews I've read recently, I don't think they carry much quilting fabric any more.

So I'm left with Hobby Lobby & Walmart (less than 10 min. drive), 1 LQS (15-20 min. drive) and JoAnns (40-45 min drive). To be honest, I'm not thrilled with any of them. I stroll through the fabrics and, if I see a fabric that really inspires me, I can't find coordinating fabrics I like. I may try ordering some fabric online but I really prefer to feel the fabric ... and trying to coordinate colors can be a little tricky as I don't think colors on the computer always show true.

I try to always buy a good quality fabric even for my donation quilts but I do have to watch prices. Since I try to cooridnate all the fabric I need for a quilt in the store, they are usually of comparable quality.

juliasb 07-10-2019 04:26 PM

As you say there is a time and a place... Each type of store has a valuable place in quilt making. I admit I purchase most of my fabrics online as good quilt store quality goods. However it did not stop me from buying 140 yards at a penny a yard from JAF on Monday. I will use much of this quilt as sample blocks that will eventually find it's way into something in a quilt over years to come.

Tothill 07-10-2019 04:44 PM

Iona, I understand where you are coming from. Luckily for me the local quilt shops have 50% off fabric bins, and I freely admit to shopping the sales.

I also use Connecting Threads fabrics and thread. I know some complain about the lint from the thread, but I frequently clean around my bobbin case so it is not an issue.

I am in Canada, so my Big Box fabric store is FabricLand. I used to use some of their novelty prints, but as a person who mostly washes when it comes into the house, I find the fabric is lacking after washing. I have to wash the fabric as I get skin irritation from the chemicals in the fabric.

So now I set an annual budget and when it is gone, I no longer shop, unless it is something needed to complete a project.

I look forward to seeing your project.

fruitloop 07-10-2019 05:19 PM

I don't see what difference it make where fabric is bought or how it is used. I buy from anyplace that sells fabric at the price I want to pay and use it how I want to use it.

illinois 07-11-2019 03:35 AM

Me, too, fruitloop! I'm not an online shopper for several reasons plus I'm one who buys because I like it or it has potential, not necessarily for an individual project. Therefore, I'm estimating and cost is a factor in what I put on the shelf. Will it be a charity project or an heirloom for your dearest friend/relative/self? If you are shopping at the "big box" stores, keep in mind that they are selling to a wide margin, not just quilters. There is craft fabric as well as what we consider to be top end. Hey, you can even buy fabric for headliners in your car at JoAnn's but we aren't looking at that for quilts, are we? Maybe you want something of lesser quality for decorating for a party, it's there, too! It's up to the consumer to purchase what they are hoping to find among the offerings at these stores.

SusieQOH 07-11-2019 04:25 AM

This subject seems to come up a lot.
I buy almost all my fabrics online. It works for me because I like certain brands and know the quality so I don't feel the need to handle it before I buy.
However, if I couldn't afford it I would buy whatever I could so I could make quilts as it brings me so much joy to create.
So I really think there is a purpose for all of them.
I remember the days when I had a young family and quilt shop fabric was mostly out of my reach. That is no longer the case but I still buy online more. The prices are a lot better and the people at my local quilt shop aren't inspiring at all.
A lot of people say that precuts are a waste of money but I love the convenience and variation of fabric in them. That is worth the extra money to me.
I agree with Onebyone- Joann's lost me a long time ago. Way overpriced for the quality and all those coupons.
And I buy nothing at Walmart. I don't care what their prices are for anything. I just don't like that store.

Maureen 07-11-2019 04:51 AM

I was i JoAnn buying yarn the other day and some of their fabric was marked 12.00 per yard. My LQS is charging 10.50 to 11.00. Why would I go to Jo Ann. After coupons its 8.00 but the quality is fair at best. Ill never buy it.

sewnclog 07-11-2019 07:09 AM

I tend to order online too; it's more convenient; most all the local stores have closed near me; the closest is an hour away and it's not on my away to anywhere. Joanns's is the same; I have Wm near me and Hobby Lobby is about a half hour away but then it's not on my way to anywhere either. Sad to see all the good places closing up. Now I try to "shop" in my stash if and when I can.

Friday1961 07-11-2019 09:03 AM

[>>>You have to read the label and know how good fabric feels.<<<

This is what I think about fabric, period, no matter where you buy it. I buy fabric at JoAnn's, at Walmart, at Hobby Lobby, wherever fabric is sold, and online. And online makes me the most anxious because I can't see and feel the goods before buying.

Trixie77484 07-11-2019 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Maureen (Post 8275748)
I was i JoAnn buying yarn the other day and some of their fabric was marked 12.00 per yard. My LQS is charging 10.50 to 11.00. Why would I go to Jo Ann. After coupons its 8.00 but the quality is fair at best. Ill never buy it.

JoAnn always has plenty of 50 and 60 percent off coupons you can use on that $12 a year fabric that the LQS will never have. I never pay full price for any fabric at JoAnn.