Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What brand of iron do you like? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-brand-iron-do-you-like-t154.html)

Judy Gail 11-27-2006 09:02 PM

I have a Sunbeam iron and it doesn't seem to get hot enough, even on the linen setting. I think I've had 6 months.

Judy

Jezebel George 11-28-2006 03:10 AM

I've got a vintage GE that is heavy and gets hot as a steam engine and the cord is starting to fray. I love it but it doesn't have an auto shut off and I always worry that it will accidently get left on. I have a request in for a B & D for Christmas. I have heard consistently bad things about Rowenda so am avoiding getting one of those. I've had sunbeams in the past, before I quilted, and wore them out pretty quickly even though I didn't use them much.

foxxigrani 11-28-2006 06:02 AM

I have one in sewing room that auto shut off and with my memory thats a good thing. It also gets hotter than I would like sometimes but works great. Its a old black and decker. I have had it for a few yrs and inherited it from mil. So I don't have any idea how long its been around. Love it tho, good iron. I too have heard bad things about Rowenda, and my cheap side would never let me spend that kind of money on a iron.

Hope this helps.

Rita

Leslee 11-28-2006 06:48 AM

I have the Sunbeam "Safety Smart" model for a large iron, and it seems to have all the right heat, steam and shut-off features I need. But for convenience I find I'm always using my little Clover travel-size iron, tho the water well holds a thimbleful! Gotta have that spray bottle of water handy. Has anyone used the mini irons with the heat-up tips that Clover makes? I wondered about cutting stencils out of plastic with the interchangeable tip they offer...anybody tried it?

Boo 11-28-2006 08:28 AM

Penny, I once had an iron that suddenly started sparking and threatened to explode! Please replace the iron or at least the frayed cord. When mine started sending up sparks from the cord, it was between me and the wall and could have easily started a fire. A very scarey and dangerous situation.

Jezebel George 11-28-2006 09:05 AM

Boo, consider it done. Good advice - thanks.

DonnaRae 11-28-2006 10:51 AM

Hi, I have a Conair that has all the saftey features and gets hot very fast and is electronic. Has worked excellant. BUT I finaly broke down and bought a steam presser. The best item yet. It makes ironing all the fabric squares ect a breeze. Of course I have my mini's that I had all along, and I still have my Conair. But the steam presser gets the work out. It is a fabulous time saver! DonnaRae :D

BarbC 11-28-2006 05:44 PM

I have a Rowenta and LOVE it! I bought it years ago.. 7 or 8.. to iron my hubby's shirts... and since then I started quilting and use it for that. It gets nice and hot and has great steam. Mine has a great feature for controlling the amount of steam and the ability to turn the steam off even if there is water in the iron. It also has the auto shut off. In the past year, I have heard folks say Rowenta's are not good irons.. guess I got the exception to the rule! LOL! I hope it never dies!

Barb

Misty56 11-29-2006 02:00 AM

I have 2 Rowentas and love them both. And they do get HOT you need to watch your self around them I learned the hard way and now am wearing a little scar to prove it.
Misty

Boo 11-29-2006 03:34 AM

I loved my Rowenta because it was heavy, hot and steamy. I used to say that while pressing seams, I also got a facial. LOL One day it just stopped heating up. I guess I can burn up any iron from $15 to $125. If anyone knows a president and CEO of an iron company, send him my way. I could save that company alot of money by testing irons for them. :lol: