Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What brand of thread do you use (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-brand-thread-do-you-use-t222543.html)

mrsmacka 05-29-2013 02:17 PM

What brand of thread do you use

I have been taught to sew (piecing) with 100% cotton It is so expensive here in Australia. I am wondering what brand other people use. I am hoping I have put this in the right section

QuiltnNan 05-30-2013 05:59 AM

i have quite a stash of Connecting Threads cotton thread. But, if the color is right, i'll use anything i have.

Jingle 05-30-2013 06:56 AM

I use Connecting Threads ans Coats and Clarks. I have lots of both and it works for me.

Stitchnripper 05-30-2013 07:07 AM

None of my machines are fussy so I mainly use coats and Clark. Sometimes the cotton covered poly. There are as many opinions as thread brands I think. Whatever works for you.

Scissor Queen 05-30-2013 07:13 AM

I use Precensia and Aurifil for piecing. They're both thin, strong and low lint. If you do the math and figure out the actual cost per meter sometimes you'll find out that bargain thread really isn't the bargain you thought it was.

Bobbielinks 05-30-2013 07:42 AM

Not too long ago, a new customer ask me if I would know why the quilting stitches were breaking on a quilt that she had quilted by machine several years ago. I asked her if she knew what thread was used for the quilting; she said that 100% cotton thread was used and that the quilt had not been used a lot but had laid on a bed as a spread, but that people did sit on that bed. I pulled out a cone of 100% cotton thread and asked her take a length of thread, hold it on the ends with each hand and pull. The thread easily snapped into. That, I told her is why I never use 100% cotton thread to sew with. It does not take much pressure to break cotton thread. For general sewing and piecing I use Coats and Clarks Dual Duty and for quilting I use A & E Permacore. Just my own experience. Each one of us have our own favorites; we just find the best for us and/or our machines and enjoy our stitching.

NJ Quilter 05-30-2013 08:28 AM

I use just about anything that's handy and the color I'm looking for. Have C&C, gutterman, mettler, serger thread, etc. I piece with all of it. I don't machine quilt though. For that I'd be clueless.

jmabby 05-30-2013 08:37 AM

Because my machine is so fussy I uae Aurifil, sometime Gutterman, but I get less lint/fuss collecting at bobbin with Aurifil.

EllieGirl 05-30-2013 09:02 AM

I was using Coats but started having problems with it. Then I bought a new machine and asked for suggestions. The shop owner said he suggests Isacord or Exquisite threads both all sewing. I bought each of those and have been pleased with them. I've used them for piecing, FMQ, and embroidery. Incidentally, I tried some Gutterman embroidery thread and it just shredded.

Nilla 05-30-2013 09:11 AM

I use Aurifil in my bobbins. It seems to make less lint. I use Aurifil, Presencia or Mettler as my top thread, usually just whichever I grab first. I use King Tut exclusively in my long arm.