Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What brands of Long Arm machines would you recommend? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-brands-long-arm-machines-would-you-recommend-t181988.html)

DeMaris 04-02-2012 06:21 PM

I agree with momto5...I love my Gammill. I have had little to no problems with it once it was set up properly. I wouldn't give it up!!!

Judi in Ohio 04-03-2012 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by suebee (Post 5107018)
I recently have had the pleasure of quilting on a friends A1 Longarm...what a pleasure. I love this machine and am going to buy one towards the end of the year. But she has offered to let me quilt on it as much as I want, that way I get the feel of the machine and will be ready to quilt as soon as I get mine. I have test drove gammills, tin lizzies, APQS, Innova and A1. Be sure to compare Apples to Apples and what you get "standard" for the money. It is a big purchase and needs to be "the perfect fit" for you. Good luck and HAPPY LONGARM QUILTING :)

Count me in as a satisfied A-1 owner. As soon as I've practised practised, practised, I will be doing my many quilts. I finished up a practise piece yesterday and I was having problems doing feathers because of a DIY project we did that didn't work as expected. This thing kept grabbing my quilt and my feathers looked horrid. (A part sticks up too high underneath) I cranked my top tight and went after those feathers yesterday and they started looking pretty darn good. Now to do a practise piece.
Judi

Christine- 04-03-2012 11:33 AM

I picked up a Tin Lizzie 26" with a Hailey frame yesterday. Thank you everyone for the advice! The machine floats like it's on air. We rented a truck to bring it home. As soon as the sheet rock is up on the ceiling and walls I can set it up. It's beckoning to me from the dining room for the moment.

Christine- 04-03-2012 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by whitewing94 (Post 5106977)
We also have the Crown Jewel on a Pearl frame. We have been having some trouble with looping under the quilt and ugly stitch. I keep setting the tensions and some how after awhile it messes up again. I think it may be the cheap 30wt. thread we are using. Any ideas?

I was given advice when I picked up my machine you might try. The dealer said when it's on stitch regulation you might have trouble with stitches if the wheels/track are dirty. Do that first before adjusting the tension.

Alexander 03-17-2013 04:50 AM

Good to read your answers as I live in UK and am thinking of buying either an HQ Avante or Gammill 18" as they are the only companies in UK. I have tried the Avante but not the Gammill yet as they are not coming into this country for another few more weeks. The alternatives for me are the HQ Sweet Sixteen sit down or a domestic sewing machine and frame eg Grace King. Has anyone any had experience with any of these???.

wolph33 03-17-2013 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Hockeyrabbit (Post 5045919)
I've been debating whether or not I should purchase an Innova machine. They are having a very good sale going on right now and I am VERY VERY TEMPTED to buy one. I even went up to the dealers shoppe to test it out. Its as much as a car, I even went so far as checked my finances to see if I could afford one...and I could but now its a matter of parting with the money and JUSTIFYING the purchase!:(

oh go buy it-they are wonderful machines,we love ours.

KarenR 03-17-2013 06:16 AM

I will be watching to see everyones input. Thanks for the information.

topstitch 03-18-2013 02:58 AM

I agree. Nolting is wonderful. I am not near a factory but I get instant response should I need help. They are very reasonably priced considering what other brands cost and are true work horses. I have heard of problems with the tensions with some of the new Gammills. I MHO I found that when I test drove the Gammill it absolutely did not justify the outragous price. They were no better or worse than so many of the other brands just lots more expensive.

Originally Posted by maryb119 (Post 5045967)
I would buy a Nolting machine. My mom has one and it is wonderful. The factory is not very far away so the service she gets is great. Service is very important with a long arm machine. Nolting will set them up and you get lessons and help with any question you have.