Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What can I do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-can-i-do-t312050.html)

Tippysmom 08-06-2020 07:37 AM

What can I do?

I’m making a quilt with an 8 pointed star with a border. Some of the stars’ points will be cut off when the border is sewn on. Is there some way to tackle this problem? I’ve been thinking of appliquéing tiny stars on all the points, but I don’t know for sure.
has anyone done this or is there another solution??

sewbizgirl 08-06-2020 07:48 AM

Go back and alter your seams, making them wider. Points usually get cut off because the seams are too narrow.

tropit 08-06-2020 07:51 AM

I'm having the same problem. When I got to the border, I needed to cut a little too close to the points when I squared off the top. Now that I am sewing my border on, I'm losing a few of my points. For me, I decided to try to do some surgery to the top and see if I can take things in slightly to re-establish the points. I don't like doing it, because it makes the edge less straight, which will lead to re-squaring and possibly loosing even more points. I've only done about 3 or 4 of the points so far and I might just leave it there, as it might get too wonky if I continue. I never thought of appliquéing anything over them. I'm not sure I'd do that on my quilt, but maybe on one where the stars become part of the design.

~ C

juliasb 08-06-2020 07:55 AM

I would go back and add to the area where you need more quilt near the binding area. Filling in this way will provide you with the extra little bit you need. Be sure you evenly distribute the area so you don't have a 'wobble' in your quilt.

Iceblossom 08-06-2020 08:07 AM

Is the problem that the points extend into the seam allowance, or that the setting units/triangles are too narrow? There are different fixes.

When your star points are where they should be, but there is not enough seam allowance for them or the background you can put in gentle arcs of fabric, think like a wedding ring melon piece. With a busy printed background you won't even notice. If you have no more matching fabric you can go for a contrast/connection to a border which would mean doing all the blocks even the ones that came out ok.

And then the question is how noticeable is it really -- sometimes like on two-color quilts yes, it is really noticeable and if it is going to bother you, this is your chance to fix it. Other times, like if it is scrappy anyway and next to a busy print once you get 5 feet away those points might not be so noticeable.

I spent my first 20 years of quilting trying to be very precise both in my cutting and my piecing. These last 20 years I've been slowly moving towards the cut/sew large and trim down school of thought. When I was being precise I still would check my subunits and trim a thread here or there, now I make sure I have enough to be worth trimming! The extra 1/4-1/2" per piece doesn't add up to much, whether it is from strip piecing techniques or my single techniques. For me it is faster and ultimately more accurate and a happier process accepting that I am not using every thread but I am getting the results I want with minimal redo.

Tartan 08-06-2020 08:19 AM

Unless you want to deconstruct the blocks, sew on the border and move on to the next top. You can appliqué something over the missing point or not.

Jordan 08-06-2020 08:35 AM

I think if you go back and make some of your seams a little narrower then that will widen your border so you will not cut off the points of your stars. I hope I am reading your questions right and understanding your problem. I feel for you all the way as I have been there trying to not cut off points of my flying geese when I make them. Good luck to you

sewingpup 08-06-2020 08:41 AM

I am in favor of the move on t the next top theory. In my experience.....my points are getting better with every quilt I make. Just make note of it and work more on it the next time.....I used to cut my pieces of fabric "a little bigger" just in case....Now I work on making everything as accurate as possible....I strive to cut my fabric the exact size called for which means for me and the rulers I use making sure the lines on my ruler are directly over the edge of the fabric....not just to the inside of the ruler mark, not just to the outside of the ruler mark...but directly under the ruler mark...this actually can change with the brand of ruler you have...so it pays to stick to one brand of ruler ….I also make sure my seam is accurate....and if I have any question as to the quality of my quilt fabric, I will prewash and press it ...I will also do that if I am making a quilt with many different sized pieces or more complexity. Why....because if you do not pre-wash the fabric, it may just shrink enough as you iron your seams to make a difference. I don't worry if I am making a simpler quilt with bigger sized pieces....but especially with small triangles...I do that step. As for the the cut off points...most of the time they will not be that noticeable after you quilt and wash the quilt. and no one else will probably notice. As I said.....I went from about 1/3 of my points being good on the first try to now several years later...about 90% of them being good and the other 10% mostly "good enough". I do make quilts mainly for use however, not works of art for a wall, and not for entry into quilt shows.

Onebyone 08-06-2020 08:52 AM

Usually my fixes are more noticeable then the mistake. Next time you will know to check all seam allowance before cutting and this is how you learned. Name the quilt Some Points Taken and let it go.

osewme 08-06-2020 10:27 AM

I too like the option of finishing the quilt as is and moving on to your next project. You could also name it "Flat Points" or "No Point Necessary" or something like that. Or, just don't name it at all & move on. If you gift it, don't point out the "un-pointed points. They will love it just as it is.