Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What are the Challenges of Piecing and Quilting with Flannel? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-challenges-piecing-quilting-flannel-t99010.html)

cmw0829 02-12-2011 07:34 AM

"OMG - wrong season" you may say. But I am thinking ahead for a change.

I would love to make something for DH out of flannel for next fall. He was so enamored of the flannel quilts we saw at a LQS.

So I thought I would ask if there are there any special challenges of working with flannel?

Thanks.

ElizH 02-12-2011 07:38 AM

Be sure to use high quality flannel or it will not look very nice after a dozen or so washes! Ask me how I know. : )

babyfireo4 02-12-2011 07:40 AM

I did one for christmas for my DH and it wasn't to bad to work with. Clean out your machine alot! There's tons more fuzz that gets in but it comes out easy if you clean it fairly often. It seemed to have a bit more strech than I'm used to so I also pinned alot, but it all went really smoothly. Good Luck, I hope you post pics when your done!

chiaraquilts 02-12-2011 07:45 AM

I made a flannel quilt for each of my grandchildren- a few tips: definitely prewash and dry (expect a lot of thready tangly stuff when you do this). As someone else said, top quality flannel is worth it- and it does stretch more than cotton, I found piecing triangles was more challenging than usual when working with flannel, you may want to take this into consideration when planning your design.

Plain Jane 02-12-2011 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by chiaraquilts
I made a flannel quilt for each of my grandchildren- a few tips: definitely prewash and dry (expect a lot of thready tangly stuff when you do this). As someone else said, top quality flannel is worth it- and it does stretch more than cotton, I found piecing triangles was more challenging than usual when working with flannel, you may want to take this into consideration when planning your design.

Do you prewash for a rag quilt? i was told not to. Uh oh if you are supposed to, cause I didn't.

kathdavis 02-12-2011 08:11 AM

The flannel baby quilts I have made, I DID NOT prewash. If the whole quilt is flannel, it should shrink altogether if same quality of flannel. I hate working with prewashed flannel. Texture is mushy, and too much raveling going on. It has worked for me.

Tink's Mom 02-12-2011 08:14 AM

LOTS of fuzz...you need to clean out the bobbin area with each bobbin change.

Theresa 02-12-2011 08:18 AM

Lots of good suggestions here. I don't prewash my regular cottons but sure do the flannel. Do hot water and hot dryer to shrink. Yes, flannel is messy, but the final product is so worth it! Your DH will be delighted!

dakotamaid 02-12-2011 08:42 AM

Just to add to everyone else's advice. Probably larger blocks or larger pieces to your blocks, take a slightly larger stitch length, use walking foot, and I personally use a slightly larger seam allowance. A larger seam allowance is not strictly necessary but depends on the quality of the flannel.

patchsamkim 02-12-2011 08:46 AM

Flannel can be a stretchier fabric to sew with, which is both a plus and a minus...minus that it stretches, but plus that it is easy to ease if necessary to make things fit.
Be sure to clean out your bobbin area A LOT!!! Flannel is very linty!
I love my flannel quilts...they are the first ones I want to cuddle up with!