Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What color quilt should I make for a new baby? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-color-quilt-should-i-make-new-baby-t187982.html)

burchquilts 05-03-2012 01:25 PM

What color quilt should I make for a new baby?

I just found out today that my doctor (who I like very, very much) is expecting her 1st baby in August (maybe it'll come on my b/d!!!). She doesn't know the sex & doesn't want to know. That doesn't help me! :( I think I'll make her a Yellow Brick Road or a Turning 20 baby quilt. But what color or "style" should I go with? Any fabric lines you could suggest? Or should I go with a red & white? Primary colors? Oy! Wonder if the sonogram tech would tell me what the baby's sex is... LOL! Any help would be much-o appreciated!

MaryMo 05-03-2012 01:34 PM

My vote is for primary colors .... unless she has a theme set for her nursery and shares that with you. Dr. Seuss prints are always fun.

jodimarie 05-03-2012 01:39 PM

I just finished a bow tie baby quilt made with a creamy muslin and all different bright primary colors for the blocks....used a small black sashing and a soft yellow ( good for boy or girl!) second border. Easy, quick and oh so pretty too!

quiltstringz 05-03-2012 01:50 PM

I think that primary colors would be great! Or if you had a cute panel you could build around that. Google children's panels and you will find a ton of them out there. Hungry Caterpillar, Dr. Suess, etc.

sandyms 05-03-2012 02:27 PM

I agree with everyone else!! I always make baby quilts in bright bold colors - cheerful and gets their attention!

katier825 05-03-2012 02:41 PM

I've seen some cute black & white with bright colored appliques that would be nice. Babies see B&W first I hear.

BuzzinBumble 05-03-2012 04:21 PM

Well babies themselves are drawn to look at primary colors and areas of sharp contrast. They are particularly drawn to the human face. (Two eyes, nose and mouth) That's what they taught us in Childhood & Developement, so I'd go with that. One of the ladies here on the QB also was raving about how much her grands loved their quilts with minky backing and how they call them their "get nekked blankies" to cuddle up in after bath time. I thought that was so precious!

burchquilts 05-03-2012 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble (Post 5191682)
Well babies themselves are drawn to look at primary colors and areas of sharp contrast. They are particularly drawn to the human face. (Two eyes, nose and mouth) That's what they taught us in Childhood & Developement, so I'd go with that. One of the ladies here on the QB also was raving about how much her grands loved their quilts with minky backing and how they call them their "get nekked blankies" to cuddle up in after bath time. I thought that was so precious!

OMG! I'm screaming with laughter! "Get nekkid blankies" is THE best!

Pat625 05-03-2012 05:08 PM

I would go with the primary colors too..I also make the quilts larger than crib size for babies, so they don't outgrow it too soon...

Sewflower 05-03-2012 05:40 PM

I would definitely do primary colors, but if you are looking for contrast go with black and white. I just finished one out of pinwheels and started another with the little twister. Must be something in the water. Lol