Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What colour to paint sewing room? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-colour-paint-sewing-room-t109925.html)

quilterella 03-23-2011 02:12 AM

As many of you are aware, I am currently painting out rooms in wait for my Tin Lizzie to arrive. My question is, what colour would you paint your room? I had read a longtime ago, that dark colours aren't appropriate for the sewing room as it distorts the fabric colour. I'm wondering should it be totally white(not my first choice), or a soft beige, or yellow or what? I know it needs to be easy on the eyes and pleasant at the same time. The room has two windows in it and hardwood floors. I would really appreciate your opinions!

christinetindell 03-23-2011 02:34 AM

I will be watching this topic closely because in mid-summer I am painting a room in the house to be my quilting/scrapbooking space. and right now it is Pepto-
bismol pink. I am used to sewing in the basement which is a soft blue and like it, but don't really want to replicate that in my new room.

emerald46 03-23-2011 02:58 AM

Whatever color makes your happy.

Barb_MO 03-23-2011 03:11 AM

I painted all the rooms in my house with Glidden "cookie crumb". it is very pretty. A very light tan color...it doesn't have the pink tint that beige has. I really like it and it's easy on the eyes.

Janetlmt 03-23-2011 03:18 AM

I painted my sewing room a pale yellow. It keeps the light in my room bright without being garish.

CompulsiveQuilter 03-23-2011 03:28 AM

I would keep it neutral, for the sake of keeping fabric colors more true, but give it a POP with red or blue-green on a half-wall, a small accent wall, the trim, or somewhere. I agree that beige is too pink, so try something neutral with a brown base

quiltmaker 03-23-2011 03:31 AM

If you research colors and the moods they reflect in us they say a soft yellow is the way to go for creativity. In our last home I did this and it was fabulous. Yellow is supposed to be the color for creativity....like red is supposed to make you hungry. It's an interesting subject.

Why not go get some paint strip colors from a paint store and see what they do for you in your room. Now you can purchase those small jars of colors to test out and see how you feel/enjoy their look. Can't remember but I think the softer blues and greens create relaxation.

Just remember it's your room and you should choose what is most pleasing to you and gives you that happy feeling every time to go in there to create your beauties...

SEW 03-23-2011 03:40 AM

I painted my sewing room a soft pale yellow called "Weston Flax" by Benjamin Moore. I just love it!

sumcoop 03-23-2011 03:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Mine is pale yellow and I have black and white furniture and all the colors of my beautiful material!
Love it...when I can see it. It is now a mess!

Antdebby1 03-23-2011 03:45 AM

My sewing room is a soft pink. Love it!