Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What cotton batting is good for hand quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-cotton-batting-good-hand-quilting-t241361.html)

nakotha 02-17-2014 08:07 AM

What cotton batting is good for hand quilting?

Aloha!

Well, sory if this question was asked before. But i didn't find it :)

Well, my next quilt will be a "all sewing with hand" one. I want to use cotton batting, because it shall be a warm quilt. Once I tried to hand quilt with Loft Luna batting..... but it didn't worked out good for me.

So I want to work with a cotton batting (80/20), what is great for handquilting and avaible in online shops?. Anyone with a good suggestion please?

Wish you all a great day :)

stillclock 02-17-2014 08:13 AM

i love working with the hobbes bats :)

aileen

Prism99 02-17-2014 09:28 AM

Hobbs 80/20 is very nice for hand quilting.

Annie Pearl 02-17-2014 09:30 AM

I use Hobbs 80/20

Tartan 02-17-2014 10:00 AM

While all cotton makes a nice quilt, it isn't the easiest to quilt with. All cotton tends to make loading your quilting needle and pulling it through a little tougher. I prefer a 80/20 blend for hand quilting. If you are doing "big stitch" quilting, cotton is fine.

NJ Quilter 02-17-2014 10:08 AM

I am the strange one here and hand quilt with Warm & Natural 100% cotton batting all the time. I have no issues with it. I use Roxanne #10 or #11 needles mostly. That said, I would also like to try the Quilter's Dream 100% cotton that my friend uses as it does have a very nice 'hand'.

nakotha 02-17-2014 10:28 AM

Wow, thanks for all the answers! You are the best!
I heard from Warm&Natural batting. Somewhere in the www it is written that the needle goes through it like through warm butter.
Hobbs also sounds very good. And both kinds of batting I could get here in my country in online shops.
Maybe i should order them both. because i can't decide for one. Plus in this way I have one of them for my stash :)

donac 02-17-2014 10:33 AM

I found warm and natural very difficult to hand quilt. I love hobbs 80/20. See if can get some scraps of each from a friend and try each.

Prism99 02-17-2014 10:45 AM

Many people find Warm & Natural difficult to hand quilt. It is needlepunched through scrim, and the scrim is probably what creates drag on the needle. The density of the needlepunched batting probably adds to the difficulty.

That "like a hot knife through butter" phrase is usually applied to quilting with wool batting (such as Hobbs wool). It definitely does not apply to Warm and Natural batting.

Edit: If you want warmth with ease of hand quilting, wool batting is the way to go.

isewman 02-17-2014 12:16 PM

I've bought batting from Hancocks-Paducah,Ky. Called Quilters Dream poly. #dp3q. I've bought the last 2 order from them. I've had real good luck with that batting. And I have good luck with rocking my needle with that batting.