Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Criteria do you use when buying fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-criteria-do-you-use-when-buying-fabric-t30957.html)

Quilt Mom 12-06-2009 05:47 AM

I have often wondered what criteria people use when buying fabric. Sometimes a particular piece just 'jumps out and grabs me.' But other times... it takes forever to find a piece that works.

Anyone care to share their technique?

patricej 12-06-2009 05:54 AM

if i'm searching for something specific, it takes me forever, too.

i never have any trouble finding piles of things i like "just because".

criteria?
-do i like it?
-is it reasonably priced?
-do i have the money?
-if i spend the money will i still be able to buy groceries, gas and pooch food?

it's easy to see why i have a mountain of stash. :roll:

tlrnhi 12-06-2009 05:59 AM

I'm the same as Patrice.
I buy fabric that I like or whatever screams at me to buy.
I think I've only walked out of a fabric store once and not bought anything......

marsye 12-06-2009 05:59 AM

Just grab and run :-)

Mamagus 12-06-2009 06:11 AM

I buy online special fabrics that I know I won't find around here - Beautiful Christmas collections, Eric Carle themes, Dick and Jane, etc.

When I am shopping for fabric I take a sample book with me and in this sample book will be swatches I already own. EXAMPLE: - I was collecting roses and rose fabric for a while for an elegant log cabin and with just a quick comparison I could see if I should buy it.

I also know what types of what I call "fillers" I will use... Tone on tones, mottles, certain colour groups... never pass up a good golden yellow ! It WILL get used! So if I see something I know I will use I get it.

And then there is the "OMG" factor. Don't know what I will use it for but I just can't leave it there for someone else to buy because I KNOW what they won't love it and appreciate it like I will!

AND having said all that... when I am looking for that last piece for a project, I can NEVER find what I want!!

littlehud 12-06-2009 07:07 AM

I buy lots of fabric that just calls to me. If I'm buying specific fabric for a project I can be in the fabric store for hours. My youngest used to laugh at me because it took so long.

Darlene 12-06-2009 07:58 AM

I try to buy fabric for a specific project and what I want it to look like in my mind. But sometimes I see some that I just have to have for my stash. LOL

Scissor Queen 12-06-2009 08:05 AM

Criteria? There was supposed to be a criteria? Maybe that 'splains things.

mpspeedy 12-06-2009 08:17 AM

I usually buy because I like it. If I defineately know that I am going to be using it for me personally I make sure I like the feel of the fabric. If it is an item I will definately be handquilting that is the most important part. I buy lots of cute or theme fabric for Linus quilts. They will be machine made so the appearance and price are the main criteria.

Rose Marie 12-06-2009 08:37 AM

I check out all my favorite websites frequently for thier 3 dollar a yard fabrics and buy whatever I like and at least one yard.
For projects I check my stash first then go shopping if I dont have what I need.