Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What decorative stitches do you use when machine binding? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-decorative-stitches-do-you-use-when-machine-binding-t217220.html)

baslp 03-24-2013 11:21 AM

What decorative stitches do you use when machine binding?

I have just spent 3 hrs binding a quilt by machine. I am worn out trying to get a semi straight stitch . What are some decorative stitches people use other than the zig zag?
Thanks
Beth

BeckyB 03-24-2013 11:30 AM

I use all kinds!

4 Attachment(s)
here are just a few that I have used

loves_2_quilt 03-24-2013 11:32 AM

A serpentine is nice. Mine "meanders" from right to left with straight stiches making a "rounded" zig zag, very forgiving as well if you don't hit right on the fold of the binding.
D

SpringBird 03-24-2013 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by baslp (Post 5950744)
I have just spent 3 hrs binding a quilt by machine. I am worn out trying to get a semi straight stitch . What are some decorative stitches people use other than the zig zag?
Thanks
Beth

I have used a checkerboard type stitch, a square of satin stitch on the quilt the a square on the binding, it is thread intensive but has held up well. I also use a meandering vine

I admit I usually turn the binding by hand because I enjoy that part of the process.

What is your next project??

Spring

Prism99 03-24-2013 11:40 AM

A serpentine stitch is the easiest for me. I let half the serpentine be on the binding and half on the quilt, and "aim" for the edge of the binding.

I also like a blanket stitch (machine applique stitch) with the "bite" going into the binding. This one is slower going for me because staying exactly on the stitching line is more important for the stitch to look good on both front and back.

Edit: I do think it helps a lot to do quite a bit of accurate prepping of the binding before sewing. It helps if seam allowances are exact, pressing the machine-sewn binding away from the quilt (but not pressing the binding edge), and glue basting the binding into exactly the right place.

romanojg 03-24-2013 11:59 AM

I just start looking at them all and go from there. I love Vikings walking foot because you can do so many things with including one of the latest attachments and that is a foot that allows you to use twin needles with the walking foot. I love using the different stitches to change things from the normal.

Tartan 03-24-2013 12:14 PM

The Serpentine stitch or the straight sitch down the flange of Charisma's machine binding with flange technique.

nativetexan 03-24-2013 12:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
normally I use a straight stitch in the ditch when folding binding toward the back and machine stitching. recently I did a quilt using the backing as the binding. I used a decorative stitch for that one...I thought I had a closer picture than this one. the stitch I used looks like a snowflake or starburst.

baslp 03-24-2013 12:59 PM

Thanks for all your replies. I have been using the Simplicity binding machine to make the binding. I must be sewing it on wrong too. I may go back to making the binding myself.

yweinst 03-24-2013 01:12 PM

The few times I've used a decorative I based it off of the theme of the quilt. So for a skiing quilt I used a stitch that looked like snowflakes.