Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Did I Do Wrong? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-did-i-do-wrong-t182093.html)

EllieGirl 03-08-2012 01:19 PM

What Did I Do Wrong?

I downloaded a placemat/runner pattern that said it was "easy" for beginners, and I consider myself an intermediate/beginner. It consists of a trapezoid shape, two rhombus shapes put together to form a chevron, and squares that attach to the chevron and trapezoid, and they all go together in a pattern. I was very careful measuring the pieces making sure the size was correct. The shape pattern was provided to use for cutting. I made sure the seams matched on the squares. When I put it all together the diagonals on each side of the center were way off.

I've made four quilts but they've been strips, squares, and log cabins. Now I'm hesitant to try different shapes.

Lori S 03-08-2012 01:27 PM

Sometimes the patterns listed as easy are not quite so easy... as the pattern may have a mistake or missing a step or other vital peice of info. I bought a book and then I went to the internet only to find 45 pages of corrections. Some were huge mistakes ..
So it may not be you.. Did the pattern have you add the seam allowance ? sometimes I have seen templates on patterns and they do not have a seam allowance.
CAn you post a link to the pattern?

ckcowl 03-08-2012 01:33 PM

show us pictures- we may be able to tell what went wrong- & help-
don't feel like you can not move forward& try new things just because this one project didn't go quite right.

Tartan 03-08-2012 03:39 PM

Sometimes the pattern is wrong. If you have a LQS bring in your project and see if you can get some pointers. You can also post pictures here and someone may be able to help.

Jan in VA 03-08-2012 04:30 PM

Did you allow for seam allowances ("the shape pattern was provided to use for cutting") on the fabric you cut from the shapes?

Personally, as a long-time teacher, I do not consider anything with bias angles/set in seams to be "easy for beginners" and without specific instructions I do not include them in my beginning quilt design classes. It's easy to get discouraged at first and I try every way possible to eliminate that possibility for my students while still making the design/construction process fun and enlightening!

Jan in VA

noahscats7 03-08-2012 04:46 PM

Go back to the site and see if there are any corrections posted for that pattern.

GEMRM 03-08-2012 04:59 PM

Is it possible that one or some of the shapes got rotated or flipped?

margecam52 03-08-2012 05:10 PM

Can you post a link to where you got the pattern, or at least the name of the pattern? Also, a picture of your result...that way we can maybe offer some ideas as to what happened.

Originally Posted by EllieGirl (Post 5042642)
I downloaded a placemat/runner pattern that said it was "easy" for beginners, and I consider myself an intermediate/beginner. It consists of a trapezoid shape, two rhombus shapes put together to form a chevron, and squares that attach to the chevron and trapezoid, and they all go together in a pattern. I was very careful measuring the pieces making sure the size was correct. The shape pattern was provided to use for cutting. I made sure the seams matched on the squares. When I put it all together the diagonals on each side of the center were way off.

I've made four quilts but they've been strips, squares, and log cabins. Now I'm hesitant to try different shapes.

virtualbernie 03-09-2012 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5043058)
I do not consider anything with bias angles/set in seams to be "easy for beginners"

Jan in VA

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holice 03-09-2012 04:36 AM

Give us the name of the pattern so we can see what it looks like. Without this we are just talking "out of the dark" and with no reference to go on.