Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the difference between Janome online and Janome instore machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-difference-between-janome-online-janome-instore-machines-t235821.html)

KarenR 12-01-2013 08:32 AM

What is the difference between Janome online and Janome instore machines

Can someone tell me what the difference is between buying a Janome online verses in the store?
I guess this question would apply to all types of sewing machines.
I'm looking- can't seem to fix my old ones.
Thanks in advance for the information.

Any idea the best place to buy one? I'm looking at the Janome Jem with the top loading bobbin.

dunster 12-01-2013 08:40 AM

I think the main difference would be in having a nearby dealer for support. That can be important with a sewing machine.

DOTTYMO 12-01-2013 08:44 AM

Buying from a local dealer means expert support close to should anything go wrong.Also many dealers offer classes show you how to use the machine with demos and allow you hands on to try the machine before purchase.
Buying from Internet you pay and they post. Could be next day delivery but follow up is usually limited and where do you send take the machine for its annual service?
I've done both and been happy.

ktbb 12-01-2013 08:48 AM

agree strongly with other posters and another difference is that a local dealer may be able to give you trade-in value for your old machine (but probably not much) even if it's not fixable, since they can use the parts. I always encourage local/in-store purchases from a reputable dealer -

KarenR 12-01-2013 08:50 AM

Closest dealer is 60+ miles away. I guess I'm thinking about what is different on the insides of the machines?

Barb in Louisiana 12-01-2013 08:54 AM

All machines need repair sooner or later. If the warranty is still in effect, and you buy off the Internet, will your local dealer repair it under warranty? That's the biggie for me. I always thought they were like car dealerships. If you bought a Chevrolet the warranty was covered no matter which Chevy dealership you took it to. Well, not the same with sewing machines. Some brands allow the shops to warranty only what they sell. If you bought it elsewhere, it's on you to get it fixed. Try seeing if the local shop will match the Internet price or come close. Local support & warranty is a BIG deal.

My friend bought a Babylock at the IQF in Houston 2012. The closest shop that sells Babylock refuses to service hers even though she paid extra for the Gold Warranty plan where supposedly, she can take it to any Babylock dealer to repair items under warranty. Not so in this instance. She talked to the Babylock folks this year and they said it was up to the dealers. So much for the extra money for the Gold Plan. It opened my eyes.

Prism99 12-01-2013 08:54 AM

There really is no difference except for having the dealer nearby for classes, repairs, etc. If you are an experienced sewist, you probably wouldn't need lessons on a machine as simple as the Janome Jem; I would imagine the manual is enough. If you clean your machine well and don't allow lint to build up, it shouldn't need yearly maintenance. (My Bernina 1230 has not been in the shop for at least 12 years and is probably due for a good cleaning and going-over by a technician.....)

Does the Janome Jem have adjustable stitch length and stitch width? That is one thing I always want in a sewing machine because it makes machine applique easier for me.

If I were buying a Janome Jem, I would purchase it from Amazon (especially since I have Prime!). With Amazon, it is very easy to return a machine if you don't like it or something is wrong with it. (This is easiest if it is listed as sold by Amazon, I think, but probably also works for 3rd party sellers. Check policies if you are unsure.) Read *all* the reviews of a machine on Amazon before purchasing, no matter where you purchase; these often provide useful information. Here is a link to Janome Jem machines on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...s=janome%20jem

p.s. Most dealerships will not allow you to return a machine once you carry it out of the store (even if never taken out of a box). They will, however, take it back if you decide to upgrade to a more expensive machine. There are some exceptions, but you'd better be sure of the particular dealership's policies (in writing if possible; verbal assurances by sales people can be unreliable).

Peckish 12-01-2013 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by KarenR (Post 6432883)
what is different on the insides of the machines?

I don't think they're made differently. It would be pretty difficult (and expensive) for them to set up 2 or 3 different ways of making them on the manufacturing line. There are some that are "reconditioned", but they are marked as such. One of my machines was purchased reconditioned and has been a wonderful workhorse.

DogHouseMom 12-01-2013 09:48 AM

If it's the same model then there would be no difference.

If you feel comfortable getting to know your machine without benefit of a class that a local dealer would provide, and the price is far better (including shipping) than a dealer can provide ... then go for it.

You might want to give your dealer a call to see if they would honor a Janome warranty if you did not purchase your machine through them.

If your dealer will not honor the Janome warranty then I would make the 60+ mile trip (to me that's not far at all) to the dealer to get the machine and get a training class on the same day. This way you are covered by that dealer should you ever need service.

While your at it ... explain to the dealer why you are asking if they would honor the Janome warranty and tell them the price you are looking at online. They might be able to match it.

PaperPrincess 12-01-2013 10:05 AM

Also, there's the 'try before you buy' factor. Check to see if the dealer has that one on the floor as a demo so you can make sure that 's the one you want.