Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the difference? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-difference-t281632.html)

Neuras 08-25-2016 08:31 AM

What is the difference?

I'm looking Deep into my budget and trying to find room to purchase a fabric cutter. Can the dies from Sizzix, Sihouette, Go! Cutters, or Any of the other main name-brand cutters be used interchangeably? Trying to figure out what works best for my limited budget. They're all So tempting! Thank you for your info.

ManiacQuilter2 08-25-2016 08:55 AM

I am not tempted since you lose any control over the size you cut. I prefer when possible to oversize my blocks and you can't do that. It is an expensive quilting item. Too rich for my blood.

Onebyone 08-25-2016 09:25 AM

Good for you! I have the Go and it's become as important to me as my sewing machine. There is no need to have the cuts oversized, they sew together perfectly. I don't know about interchanging the dies but I think most different cutters and die will have to use an adaptor.

quiltingcandy 08-25-2016 09:35 AM

The Go cutter only takes Go dies. I have the GO because I do like the dies and was able to get a good deal at the Road to CA show a few years ago. Also, you cannot use coupons at Joann's for the dies - but I buy mine when they go on sale at the Accuquilt Website and want enough to get the free shipping.

It is true that the block sizes are set - but when it comes to cutting out the Double Wedding Ring and the Apple Core quilts, anything with curves it is fantastic and way easier than using templates. I have several circles, triangles and tumblers. I like that all the pieces come out the same size. For best results using the cutters it is best to starch the fabric before cutting.

Onebyone 08-25-2016 10:13 AM

Here is a tip. I put the dies I want in my online cart at Walmart and Amazon. When the price changes on one of them I get an email notice. I have gotten several dies 50% off doing this. I buy the cutting mats for the dies this way too. And anything else I think I may want to buy if the price drops. LOL

bjchad 08-25-2016 10:17 AM

Go and accuquilt studio dies can be used on the sizzlx big shot pro but sizzlx dies cannot be used on the go. Sizzlx dies tend to be cheaper than go dies. There isn't an electric version of the sizzix, at least as far as I know, so if you want to go that way it'll have to be the go big.
I love my sizzix but you want to consider whether there are dies that you will use often enough to warrant the cost. Look into both and then make your choice.

Neuras 08-25-2016 10:20 AM

Thank you and from what you are commenting, I'm feeling more inclined into looking at the GO system. And you are correct, whenever I get my coupons from JA its a no go on the GO dies, too bad! What other great suggestions do you have?

redstilettos 08-25-2016 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7636251)
Here is a tip. I put the dies I want in my online cart at Walmart and Amazon. When the price changes on one of them I get an email notice. I have gotten several dies 50% off doing this. I buy the cutting mats for the dies this way too. And anything else I think I may want to buy if the price drops. LOL

This is a great idea. I'm going to give this one a try!
Thanks for sharing.

cathyvv 08-25-2016 11:20 AM

Accuquilt Studio dies are not likely to work in the sizzix because they are very thick. I haven't tried to do that, so I could be wrong. Go dies would probably need adaptors to make them work in the sizzix.

rryder 08-25-2016 01:18 PM

I have the Sizzix Big Shot Pro. I use regular Go dies in it. I did a little experimenting when I got the first Go die to determine how to configure my adaptors and shims to get the best cuts. The thing I like about the Sizzix that I've got is that I can use just about any dies on the market with it--which means I can use the machine for cutting more than just fabric. Someone else mentioned that they have used the Studio dies in their Big Shot Pro as well. The Big Shot Pro does take up a fair amount of space. I have a dedicated space in my studio for it since it is too big to be easily storable.

The small size Big Shot would not be able to use the thicker dies, but it takes up less space. Some of the Go machines fold, though I think the Studio does not--it's comparable in size to the Sizzix Big Shot Pro.

If you only want to use the Go dies, then any of the Go machines would work for you, unless you want to use the Studio dies--I'm pretty sure they are too thick for the regular Go cutters.

Rob<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>