Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to Do with Fabrics that Keep Bleeding Dye (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-fabrics-keep-bleeding-dye-t249886.html)

Scissor Queen 07-11-2014 07:34 PM

It doesn't matter if there's a fabric that bleeds. It only matters if another fabric picks that dye up and doesn't release it.

cathyvv 07-11-2014 07:43 PM

Can't answer your question, but I love the fabrics in the machine cover!

bearisgray 07-12-2014 05:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 6796890)
It doesn't matter if there's a fabric that bleeds. It only matters if another fabric picks that dye up and doesn't release it.

That is true enough - but how will one know - for sure - that another fabric that wasn't tested with a bleeder won't pick up the dye and retain it?

Jan in VA's suggestion for "using" the excess dye could be useful - I guess - especially on the white on white and cream/white on cream type fabrics.

Example attached. But who knows how well that color will stay in the fabric?

bearisgray 07-12-2014 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 6796890)

So what do you do if this happens?

Scissor Queen 07-12-2014 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 6797190)
So what do you do if this happens?

You live with it. In over 40 years of doing laundry I've only ever had 1 thing pick up a dye out of the wash and not release it eventually, and that was rayon embroidery on some pillowcases. But then I had pretty shell pink embroidery on ivory pillowcases so I didn't mind.

Scissor Queen 07-12-2014 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 6797182)
That is true enough - but how will one know - for sure - that another fabric that wasn't tested with a bleeder won't pick up the dye and retain it?

Jan in VA's suggestion for "using" the excess dye could be useful - I guess - especially on the white on white and cream/white on cream type fabrics.

Example attached. But who knows how well that color will stay in the fabric?

Well, the logical thing would be to test the one you think might bleed with the fabrics that are the most likely to pick up the dye. And as a general rule, if it wasn't set in the original it won't be set in whatever picks it up since chemical dyes have to be set chemically.

bearisgray 07-12-2014 05:44 AM

Whatever.

I still prefer to sew with fabrics that I am reasonably sure will keep their color to themselves.

I have still been "fooled" on occasions with a fabric that I thought I had gotten excess dye out of.

I did not enjoy the process of trying to get the unwanted color out of the neighboring pieces.

nanabeth 07-12-2014 06:11 AM

I looked online and found a DIY color catcher using a solution of washing soda. The directions I found: put a tablespoon of the dry soda into a cup of hot water until it dissolves. Put in a yard of white junk fabric, or ratty toweling, and let it become saturated. Damp not dripping. Let it dry. Cut off a piece and wash it with your bleedable fabric. The soda ash grabs and holds the dye.

Has anyone tried this??

Buckeye Rose 07-12-2014 06:42 AM

Dawn dishwashing soap won't set the dyes, but it will help to prevent the excess dyes from settling on other fabrics....I have used it successfully for this problem (way back before I knew to prewash).

Stitchnripper 07-12-2014 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 6796817)
Now that is very interesting! I guessing that just because a fabric bleeds into the water doesn't necessarily mean other fabrics will pick up the dye. Seems like a good test would be to wash scraps of all the fabric in the quilt and see what happens?

So we don't think this is a good idea? It can be done before the quilt is made.