Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what to do with faded wall-hanging? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-faded-wall-hanging-t31642.html)

Tiffany 12-16-2009 04:48 PM

My thought is that you should definitely keep this, especially since most of what you have made you have given away to others. I would suggest moving it away from where it is now, if for no other reason then to keep it from fading further. If you hadn't shown me the backing fabric I would never have realized it had faded, but seeing the backing fabric and knowing how different it looks, I imagine you really do notice it.

Boston1954 12-17-2009 01:46 PM

Quilt Guilt. Cute. I would not want to get rid of anything I made no matter bad it got. Someone else said try fabric paint. That sounds good to me. I have never done it, but it is worth a shot.

grammatjr 12-17-2009 02:37 PM

Your quilt is lovely. I would not discard it. I think there have been many good suggestions. I do have a question - is it only the border that makes it unacceptable to you at the moment? The stars seem bright still. If it is just the border, maybe you could put another border in it's place? Otherwise, I think a tea dye would be the perfect answer if you want to leave it whole. Good luck.

Oklahoma Suzie 12-17-2009 02:49 PM

I think it looks fine the way it is. Keep it.

sew cornie 12-17-2009 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by grammatjr
Your quilt is lovely. I would not discard it. I think there have been many good suggestions. I do have a question - is it only the border that makes it unacceptable to you at the moment? The stars seem bright still. If it is just the border, maybe you could put another border in it's place? Otherwise, I think a tea dye would be the perfect answer if you want to leave it whole. Good luck.

Thank you. All of the navy's, which include the appliques, are faded. I think I'll try the tea dye. I've never done it before and am a bit nervous, but at this point, I don't think I can make it any worse.
:lol:

Barb_MO 12-17-2009 04:14 PM

I have a few wall quilt that were made with Navy and Black in them They have faded just like this. The one that has the black border has faded to a purple! I hate it. I can't tea dye because of all the decorations I put on it.
One navy I could tea dye. I might try that, couldn't be any worse than it is now.

sew cornie 12-17-2009 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO
I have a few wall quilt that were made with Navy and Black in them They have faded just like this. The one that has the black border has faded to a purple! I hate it. I can't tea dye because of all the decorations I put on it.
One navy I could tea dye. I might try that, couldn't be any worse than it is now.

Several folks here have mentioned painting the fabric. I've never tried that method either, but maybe it would work for your black??

amma 12-17-2009 04:25 PM

It is hard to paint or dye quilts without it bleeding into other parts of the quilt. It can also make your fabric stiffer using the paints. You can't avoid the quilting stitches either. Just something to think about.

BlueChicken 12-17-2009 04:30 PM

And if it all goes to custard and you hate it after it's dyed, keep it to use as batting for another quilt. Or a dog blanket. Or something! :-)

I really like the idea of recycling, turning it into something else, or using it for something it wasn't intended for. It just seems wrong to throw something away when you put so much work into it.

feline fanatic 12-17-2009 04:54 PM

Turn it around for a couple of months so the backing fades to match the front. :lol: