Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to do with Fat Quarters?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-fat-quarters-t229864.html)

My time 09-13-2013 05:53 AM

Yes I would suggest Bonnie Hunter as well. A few yards of a neutral and you'll be good to go.

Boston1954 09-13-2013 02:10 PM

Boxed Squares lends itself very well to a scrappy look. Several people here have done them with great visual success.

QUILTNMO 09-13-2013 02:55 PM

i use mine to make baby quilts!!!!

maryel 09-14-2013 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 (Post 6284854)
I think that happens with most of us when we begin quilting. We want a stash so we just buy fabric without much of an idea of what we want, how we will use it or how to get a cohesive variety. I'm still using up stuff I bought under those "guidelines". Now when I buy fabric I get either 3, 6 or 9 yards so I can actually do something with it!

I agree with Nammie to 7. She is so right. When I first started "collecting fabric" I wasn't as choosy as I am now and I too will buy 5 yards {if it's a good price and I really want it}. That way I know that I will have enough for the quilt and borders.

Becky Crafts 09-15-2013 02:34 AM

You could use them for linings in bags or make book covers for the school kids with them. Pillows, pencil cases, travel sized tissue holders or thread scrap bags for beside the sewing machine. Make flowers with them to embellish things, gift tags or luggage tags. Perhaps even key chain fobs! I love fat quarters! So many ideas...

QultingaddictUK 09-15-2013 03:51 AM

I was looking at my stash and was surprised to see that I still have FQs left from nearly 8 years ago! I have been using so many, a lot of D9P but still I have a load, wonder if they breed :)

GrannieAnnie 09-16-2013 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Becky Crafts (Post 6294401)
You could use them for linings in bags or make book covers for the school kids with them. Pillows, pencil cases, travel sized tissue holders or thread scrap bags for beside the sewing machine. Make flowers with them to embellish things, gift tags or luggage tags. Perhaps even key chain fobs! I love fat quarters! So many ideas...

Just dawned on me while i was reading---------------FQs would be great source for yo-yo fabric.

mdall 09-17-2013 02:26 PM

I have the same issue. When joining the board I went crazy with the FQ's. I participated in the swaps for FQ, F8, secret pal, etc. I know have box full of FQ's that dont match from all of those swaps. I decided that I was just going to wait until I got enough of them together and then I am going to make a scrappy quilt for myself of them all and then I will always have all my board friends with me in a sense. Even though I have all of those I still buy some when I see ones I like and especially if I find the bundles on sale. Love LOve LOve my FQ's

QultingaddictUK 09-22-2013 03:46 AM

Favequilts posted this one today, something a bit different with Fat quarters http://www.favequilts.com/Christmas-...quilts20130921

reneaunoel 09-22-2013 04:33 AM

When I made my "first" Disappearing 9 patch, I challenged myself. I used the 7 LEAST matching, very contrasting FQ's from my stash, only bought 2 "neutral" new FQ's. Cut the squares (yes, could have strip quilted, then cut!) did practice layouts, checked contrast by using the Black & White feature on my digital camera, then stitched every block the same. When I cut and rotated, shazam, all those no match fabrics worked very well together. For the backing, I used a beautiful "Bird" fabric that I just couldn't figure out what to do with!

The young woman who got that quilt for her new baby loves it, AND understands, I made it to be used. Baby has been to the beach, lake, other family members homes, all on top of that quilt. Given the colors involved and the HOT PINK thread used to do the "bubbles" quilting, I'll bet the baby is still staring at it!

Give yourself permission to make a quilt out of those fabrics and just let it flow. And remember, while the resulting quilt may not "float your boat" but if you give it as a gift, NO ONE ELSE will ever know or care that you didn't plan that quilt!