Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to do with fleece panel??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-fleece-panel-t34711.html)

BKinCO 01-21-2010 08:35 AM

As some of you know, I am re-doing my youngest son's bedroom for his birthday and making him an NFL quilt. I was in Joanne's the other day and found a panel of fleece that is a football field. It's big enough for a blanket for the foot of his bed, but I'm not sure what I need to do it. I have seen some people tie 2 layers of fleece together, but I don't want to make it that thick. So, what should I do with the edges? Anything?

LovingIzabella 01-21-2010 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by BKinCO
As some of you know, I am re-doing my youngest son's bedroom for his birthday and making him an NFL quilt. I was in Joanne's the other day and found a panel of fleece that is a football field. It's big enough for a blanket for the foot of his bed, but I'm not sure what I need to do it. I have seen some people tie 2 layers of fleece together, but I don't want to make it that thick. So, what should I do with the edges? Anything?

You do not have to do anything if you don't want to-the fleece is generally very durable. If you wanted to you could do a zigzag stitch around the hem just to make it there but it is not neccessary.
Hugs
April

QBeth 01-21-2010 09:56 AM

Fleece is a non-woven product which means the edges won't ravel. When using fleece for a blanket, most manufacturers use a blanket stitch around the edges, just for decoration. However, most of us don't have a blanket stitch on our machines or, if we do, it's not as big as the commecial ones.

My suggestion, if time is short, just do a straight edge or use pnking shears. If you have time you can hand-stitch a blanket stitch (ouch!) or, pick up about half-yard to contrasting fleece and make a binding for the blanket as you would for a quilt. Good luck. I love fleece!

burnsk 01-21-2010 10:28 AM

I frequently finish fleece by running it through my serger. It gives it a nice finish. If you want to get fancy you could use a wooly-nylon thread in your serger.

Quilt Mom 01-21-2010 12:15 PM

I run the fleece through a serger to finish it when it is brought into the store to be finished. At home, I decorate them with a blanket stitch by hand.

Oklahoma Suzie 01-21-2010 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by QBeth
Fleece is a non-woven product which means the edges won't ravel. When using fleece for a blanket, most manufacturers use a blanket stitch around the edges, just for decoration. However, most of us don't have a blanket stitch on our machines or, if we do, it's not as big as the commecial ones.

My suggestion, if time is short, just do a straight edge or use pnking shears. If you have time you can hand-stitch a blanket stitch (ouch!) or, pick up about half-yard to contrasting fleece and make a binding for the blanket as you would for a quilt. Good luck. I love fleece!

great idea.

MNQuilter 01-21-2010 01:09 PM

If you look on the project linus website, they have some links for ways to finish single thickness fleece blankets. I've seen where you sew a piece on like a binding but it is several inches long in the looped over part. You then cut every inch or so and then loop them thru so that it ends up looking braided all the way around it. I'll see if I can find a link for you to see what I mean. It turns out really neat looking!