Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do I do with left over triangles? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-i-do-left-over-triangles-t251783.html)

pippa 08-13-2014 02:39 AM

What do I do with left over triangles?

I have been making flying geese and snowball type blocks and I have lots of little left over triangles. Being frugal I hate to throw them away - any suggestions what I can do with them?
Pippa

CarolynMT 08-13-2014 02:47 AM

I use those for leaders and enders. And then you have a ton ogf half square triangles. I then put those together to make pillow covers that match the quilt. Or make a table topper.

Barb in Louisiana 08-13-2014 03:14 AM

I can't bear to throw them away either. Friends I know make miniature quilts with them. Or maybe they would be wonderful "fillers" when you are making a sampler with different size blocks. How about small friendship stars that you put 4 together to make a 4 part friendship star block? Or use them to make potholders or mug rugs. Make a fat quarter by creating your own fabric with them. Alternate them with strips of other fabric to create a doll quilt or placemat. Outside border on a pillow case or the extra strip between the 2 larger pieces of fabric for a pillow case. Use them in a single strip with other fabric from your quilt to make a throw pillow.

QuiltnNan 08-13-2014 03:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i used mine to make a mini quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]487428[/ATTACH]

charsuewilson 08-13-2014 03:33 AM

I sew an extra seam so that I have half square triangle squares. I use them for borders, rows in a quilt, ....

dakotamaid 08-13-2014 03:40 AM

I am looking for an old butter churn glass jar to put all those little snip its in. I saw one in a quilt shop somewhere and loved the look!!

feline fanatic 08-13-2014 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by charsuewilson (Post 6842887)
I sew an extra seam so that I have half square triangle squares. I use them for borders, rows in a quilt, ....

I do this too! Because most of the FG I make measure 2 x 4 finished I can get an unfinished 1 3/4 HST out of the left over (and that is after trimming down to square up). Often I will further cut them down to 1 1/2 HST. It is amazing how many full size block patterns call for that size. Tree of life (aka pine tree block that QuiltnNan pictured above, lovely mini BTW), bears paw, star in a star, ocean waves are just a few I can name off the top of my head.

Quiltngolfer 08-13-2014 05:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I use mine to make mini quilts or doll quilts. [ATTACH=CONFIG]487446[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]487447[/ATTACH]

Nammie to 7 08-13-2014 05:55 AM

You all have such great ideas! I've been sewing the extra seam and making 1/2 square triangles -- they will be used in a border of a scrappy quilt.

pippa 08-13-2014 07:08 AM

Thank you for all the great ideas. I will be trying them out. Never made mini quilts - now is obviously the time to try.
Pippa