Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do I do now? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-i-do-now-t189503.html)

heronfan 05-20-2012 08:13 AM

What do I do now?

I foolishly cut the backing and batting a mere 2.5 inches larger all around than my quilt top. I haven't found a long arm quilter who would even entertain quilting it. The quilt measures 32x32. The backing is a special fabric chosen by the recipient and I can't find a replacement. What do I do now short of explaining my error? I'm more than willing to admit the mistake but is 2.5 inches really too little around the quilt top to make it work?

stillclock 05-20-2012 08:17 AM

i have quilted a queen size with about an inch around the top edge.

could you quilt it yourself? hand quilting in a hoop has always seems to me the very best way to retain control of things like shrink because i can see what's happening as it happens in slow time. but machine quilting a project that size shouldn't be too crazy either.

you can do it! and i bet it's spectacular too!

(obviously i have no counsel via the long arm thing. i've never used their services. i wonder though if you couldn't baste your quilt onto a muslin extension piece to give them the cloth they need. i am assuming it's for mounting it on a frame? i don't think even a heavily quilted project could lose 2.5 inches all around.....)

aileen

TanyaL 05-20-2012 08:24 AM

Can you baste some additional fabric onto your backing that will enlarge it enough for your LA person to quilt it for you? Then you can take the fabric off and bind the quilt.

Tartan 05-20-2012 08:26 AM

I don't long arm but I would think for a quilt that size, they should not have any trouble with keeping it centered. If you have 2 or more inches all around, I would think it would be enough. If it was a large quilt, I could see them wanting a little more around the edge. Maybe one of the LA quilters on QB will comment on your post.

DebraK 05-20-2012 08:28 AM

this is a reasonable solution.

QuiltnNan 05-20-2012 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL (Post 5229923)
Can you baste some additional fabric onto your backing that will enlarge it enough for your LA person to quilt it for you? Then you can take the fabric off and bind the quilt.

this was my first thought, as well :thumbup:

QuiltE 05-20-2012 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL (Post 5229923)

Ditto ... but ask your LAQ first as I'm sure she will want it on there with a short stitch, rather than a basting stitch, to minimize the give.

2-1/2" would be cutting it short for a LAQ to put it on the machine, though for a smaller piece like that, mine would deal with it and do it for me. However, you have to remember it's their business and their policies. You might ask if they would do it for you, if you paid them an added fee for the inconvenience.

And too, do they realize that the piece is that size? or perhaps they are thinking it's a full size quilt?

sylviak 05-20-2012 09:07 AM

Talk to your LAQ. You would need to add the extra to the backing on all 4 sides and you can use a regular stitch since you will be trimming it later. You may also need to all some batting (that can be basted or you can use the new tape they have out now), particularly to the length. And if your LAQ prefers to do that herself, you should compensate her. It can be done.

DogHouseMom 05-20-2012 09:11 AM

Quilt it on a domestic

An Arm Long 05-20-2012 09:14 AM

I have done 2 inches on a baby quilt without a problem. You need to be sure both your top and backing are really square - batting too. I have also sewn a few inches onto a throw size quilt back that I felt was a little too small a margin and then cut it off when finished. But your LAQ will have to agree.