Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to do with Mom's crocheted blanket??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-moms-crocheted-blanket-t176304.html)

Jadie 01-20-2012 10:37 AM

I am in there with the rest of them..........Save them to give to your grand family............your grand children ect..
I have a quilt that my husbands greatgrand mother made it hangs as a head board over my bed those things can never be replaced............

Tink's Mom 01-20-2012 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by athomenow (Post 4893074)
Please don't try to cut them, you'll end up with a pile of yarn and ruin your mother's work. Use them, love them and give them to other family members so they can have a piece of her also. It's a great find!

I agree...Please don't cut them...My Mom crochets baby blankets and throws all the time...it helps with her arthritis...We have stacks of them...I sometimes will donate one that she didn't care for, but...we will have them for a long time to remember her with.

Gramie bj 01-20-2012 11:57 AM

Use them!! Don't cut! Are they made whith yarn or crochet thread? If thread they would look great on a bed with a colorwd sheet under them. My daughters each have one that my grand mother made using white thread and they have both used them as table cloths with a bright colored sheet under them.

angelahen 01-20-2012 12:15 PM

Me to I agree with everyone, don't cut them up and treasure them I am just learning to crochet so can appreciate the work. I love crochet blankets

mpspeedy 01-20-2012 12:49 PM

IF they are made from yarn rather than crochet thread your local Linus organization would probably love to get them. I am involved in the monthly sort of our local county Linus Chapter. At least half of the "blankets" we have donated to us are crocheted or knitted from yarn. Many of them are outstandingly lovely. Linus accepts everything from infant size to bed size.

katydidit 01-20-2012 01:16 PM

My passion is crochet- as was my mother's, and her sister and mother. I inherited a lot of crochet, as well have a lot of my own. Please consider donating your mom's afghans to either the nursing homes, or to your local county child welfare department. Children are usually removed from their homes after 8pm and most times, for safety reasons, do not have time to grab personal items before being placed in a foster home. If newborns test positive for drugs, they are immediately placed in foster care. Having an afghan to curl up with would be a comfort to a child who doesn't quite understand why the police have taken them away from their home. I'm sure your mom would love knowing that her afghans are a comfort to either a scared lonely child or a senior citizen who gets little company.

quilterella 01-21-2012 01:49 AM

I have several crocheted and knitted afghans from my DM and DGM who have both paaed away. I rotate them. I put one on the back of each couch, across the foot of the beds, over the cedar trunk and the others are in the cedar trunk. I have probably 15 of these. I am currently thinking of donating the smaller/lighter ones to the Nursing Home where I used to work because they are large enough for a bedspread and not too heavy. If everyone has one, why not pick out a few you REALLY love and donate the rest. As I get older, I think, what good is it if it has to stay packed away for future use (I'm 53).

bubble951 01-21-2012 03:13 AM

I understand when you have too many. Just keep a special one, even if you have to keep it in a box, and then find a good home for the others. Nursing homes can always use them. Some folks in nursing homes don't have any family left to bring them anything and one of your mother's blankets would mean a lot to them. Talk to the activity director. Also, there's a group in my area that makes them for foster children, so they have something of their very own and comfort to take with them as they move on to other homes. Check with your local DHS. Your mother's treasures can live on and bring much happiness to others and be a blessing to you.

maryfrang 01-21-2012 03:48 AM

Take pictures of them, and give them to a charity that your mother would of liked. They would really appreciate getting them. And everyone in the family can enjoy looking at the pictures and remembering how much you and your mother help others.

WilliP 01-21-2012 05:00 AM

Another thing you might do is donate them to your mother's church. I know our congregation has been blessed with a few from time to time --- they aqre placed in the sanctuary and used to ward off drafts by the more fragile amongst us who can remember when the person worked on the afghan at this meeting or that.