Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to do with old fabric. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-old-fabric-t34327.html)

Gilla 01-16-2010 07:01 PM

Once upon a time I did a lot of sewing, blouses, dresses, shirts, etc. I have a whole chest of these fabrics left - 1 1/2 to 3 yard pieces, mostly floral or some design. None are cotton. Most young women no longer wear these kinds of fabrics. Some of these fabrics are also stretchy which would not make them ideal for quilting.
Someone have a suggestion? These are good quality fabrics, but what do I do with them? I used to make all of my clothes, but now I am too old for that.

MollieSue 01-16-2010 07:34 PM

Barbie or baby doll clothes?
Outfits for pampered pooches?
Kitty beds?
Those plastic store bag holders people on here have made?
Outifts for those cement geese people have?
Cool pin cushions?
Exercise or chemo head bands/head coverings?
And remember probably most of the material, if older, is now 'cool' again, or soon will be! :) :)

Oklahoma Suzie 01-16-2010 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by MollieSue
Kitty beds?
Cool pin cushions?
And remember probably most of the material, if older, is now 'cool' again, or soon will be! :) :)

great ideas.

littlehud 01-16-2010 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by MollieSue
Kitty beds?
Cool pin cushions?

I am amazed at all your ideas. All of them great I might add.

KayBee 01-17-2010 04:52 AM

See if a local church or rest home would like your stash.

ghostrider 01-17-2010 05:51 AM

You don't say what types of fabric they are, only that they are not cotton. Many kinds of fabric besides cotton are used in "non-traditional" quilts...art quilts, crazy quilts, mixed media quilts, etc. Polyester blends, not so much, but velvets, silks, rayons, organzas, sheers, linens, lots of others, all are used for different types of quilts that you may not have considered.

butterflywing 01-17-2010 12:23 PM

cloth shopping bags
tote bags
buy/sell/trade here on the board
strips for 'rope' rugs
drawstring bags for fabric :roll:
donate to charity shops (i.e. st.vincent de paul)

butterflywing 01-17-2010 12:25 PM

mentor a new sewer/quilter

amma 01-17-2010 12:25 PM

Do you live near a big city? I have seen "vintage" fabric for sale in antique shops :D:D:D

Gilla 01-17-2010 12:45 PM

Most of the fabric is polyester, but some pieces I can't figure out. They are floral and soft. I even have some T shirt fabric. I can look into the chest, but I have not been able to dig it out of the closet and I need to as I need the room. I could put some photos up.