Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what to do? opinions please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-opinions-please-t249675.html)

NanaCindyLou 07-07-2014 07:41 AM

what to do? opinions please

I am about an hour from finishing a king(ish) sized quilt top - very, very plain pattern & solid fabric. It is for a gift and I have decided that it is totally NOT what I want for that gift ( although naturally I thought it was when I started). Would you finish the existing quilt and use for a different purpose or recycle the fabric into the new pattern? I think it might be too wasteful to cut up the "wrong" quilt and yet I would have to buy all new fabric for the "right" quilt. The colors are not "me" at all. Why am I making this so hard? Please help me....(and thanks)

Nammie to 7 07-07-2014 07:43 AM

Is there any way you can post a picture? Sometimes the "plain and simple" quilts really come alive when they are quilted. What don't you like about it? Is it the colors, the blocks, the setting? Maybe the person you intended it for would absolutely love it even if you don't.

sharonve 07-07-2014 07:46 AM

If it was me, I would finish it. After it is finished and quilted you may like it a lot more! You said the colors were "not you" but they may be "theirs". Sharonve

azwendyg 07-07-2014 07:49 AM

I agree with Sharonve, maybe you are not liking this quilt because the colors are not "you", but if the colors are "theirs" chances are they will like it. I'd say to go ahead and finish it, then you can decide whether to go ahead and gift it as intended, or save it for a future gift.

joe'smom 07-07-2014 07:53 AM

You must have had reasons for picking the fabrics and patterns you did. I don't think its unusual to start second-guessing oneself when it comes to gift quilts. I would recommend that you at least finish the top. Think about why you are having second thoughts and try to pinpoint what you're feeling. If you can sort that out a bit, a decision might present itself about either finishing this quilt as intended, or putting the top aside and starting fresh with a new quilt. I don't see any sense in cutting this top apart and using the same fabrics in another pattern for the same purpose. If you decide to start fresh, put this top aside and take it up again at a later time.

NanaCindyLou 07-07-2014 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 (Post 6789959)
Is there any way you can post a picture? Sometimes the "plain and simple" quilts really come alive when they are quilted. What don't you like about it? Is it the colors, the blocks, the setting? Maybe the person you intended it for would absolutely love it even if you don't.

The problem is all of the above. The colors are not "me" but it is "them" so that's ok - thus the possible recycle. There is really nothing technically wrong with the quilt - thus the idea to not waste the top. This quilt is just not right for this gift. I'm not being too hard on myself either, the intended would be very appreciative, but I realize now that this is not them at all.

joe'smom 07-07-2014 08:07 AM

Can you express what is not right about it? Or, do you have an idea of what would be right?

QuiltnNan 07-07-2014 08:37 AM

i think it would depend on the degree of difficulty to take it apart. if it would take too much effort, i'd probably finish it. as others have said, sometimes the quilting makes all of the difference. as you have said, though, you are not happy with the colors... what else would you use the fabric for, then? mix with others in a scrappy? is it possible to add appliques to it to change the look?

AliKat 07-07-2014 08:58 AM

I'd suggest you finish the quilt ... or if you have done a large amount ... take a picture of the quilt. In a day or so look at the pictures then answer these questions:

- will quilting design and thread color make it more like you want it to be?
- would some applique improve it?
- would different or no borders look best?

Sometimes I get tired of quilting seeing the same fabrics over and over. However, once a quilt is finished it is different. I have found that by taking a picture I can see the quilt much more objectively. I can't make myself undo a quilt ... it would be like saying this baby wasn't perfect enough to keep. So, if necessary I'd try to make it as good as I could and then find it the perfect home.

Tartan 07-07-2014 09:00 AM

How about adding an appliqué or fracturing the quilt top to change it?