Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to do with an over abundance (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-over-abundance-t115719.html)

Shirley Anne 04-12-2011 08:56 PM

I am always trying to donate things I no longer need. Cook mags go to rest homes to use for menus, buttons to rest homes too for repairs of patients clothes, buttons to a little sewing shop and laundries, love them, Hard books to the library. Dishes to the local misson for underprivledged. To much food in garden goes to food bank and Lighthouse mission or our agape house for battered women. Look around as there is always a place waiting for just what you need to give away.

quilting cat 04-12-2011 09:06 PM

Notice that even the quilting board has a donations page!
When giving to a charity, it is always okay to ask for a receipt to use if you itemize tax deductions!

owlvamp 04-12-2011 09:10 PM

Yes just look around you can always find someone in need. I love helping when I can. It makes it a happier place to be.

medots 04-12-2011 09:11 PM

bless you for your donations

quilting cat 04-12-2011 09:15 PM

I tried to comment on this page a few minutes ago, and it didn't show up...
Remember to ask charities for receipts if you itemize tax deductions!

wolfkitty 04-12-2011 09:27 PM

Project Linus and the like, I would think, would take donations of fabric, thread, etc. You could ask. Also local quilt guilds.

Patty Patches 04-13-2011 04:25 AM

The other day I was in wal-mart and watched the produce man throw away a hole garbage can of nice ripe banannas,was replacing them with half green ones.Another lady was throwing away a garbage can of corn on the cobb.Why dont these stores offer markdowns or send their stuff to a food pantry or something.It just seemed like an awful waste when so many in our country are going without

justflyingin 04-13-2011 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Patty Patches
The other day I was in wal-mart and watched the produce man throw away a hole garbage can of nice ripe banannas,was replacing them with half green ones.Another lady was throwing away a garbage can of corn on the cobb.Why dont these stores offer markdowns or send their stuff to a food pantry or something.It just seemed like an awful waste when so many in our country are going without

The main reason most stores don't do it is is because it costs more to do that than just to throw it away. Plus liability reasons.

Sigh...

quiltmaker 04-13-2011 05:02 AM

I agree share, share, share with anyone and whomever provides free services to others. It's a blessing to give.

donnajean 04-13-2011 05:22 AM

I donate everything I can. My whole neighborhood has some of my perennials as I just hate throwing them in the trash when I have to thin them out.

I was so annoyed when at a Wendy's last week. I went back to the counter to ask for some lettuce on my fish sandwich that was not invisible. Instead of just adding a piece of lettuce, he threw the whole sandwich in the trash & told the cook to make another sandwich.