Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do people do with all those smaller quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-people-do-all-those-smaller-quilts-t261245.html)

Mariah 02-15-2015 01:22 PM

I have a long devan quilt which I put on the back of chairs. It has received lots of compliments. What it really was were orphan blocks I never expected to get made into a quilt.
It has lots of hand quilting and it does draw a lot of attention.
So much can be done with about any size quilt, and a good investment of time and pennies, really.
Mariah

citruscountyquilter 02-16-2015 03:17 AM

I don't use quilts for bedspreads. I already have pretty spreads for my beds and they fit the decor. We use quilts for snuggling and extra warmth. I have made a few bed size quilts that would fit on a double bed but they are so heavy and I don't use them much. I like the smaller ones to snuggle with on the couch and if I need extra warmth on the bed then I put a smaller quilt on top the bed. I also use quilts for table cloths. I have an odd size round table that is our everyday eat at table so I have a variety of quilts that I switch out there and then just throw in the washer like you would a table cloth.

joymorton 02-16-2015 07:48 AM

I make many quilts for Babies in Need, Make a Wish, Quilts of Valor, of course, family, and myself.

wendiq 02-16-2015 07:56 AM

They make great "lap quilts".....just nice to grab and cover up the lap and legs on a cold day or evening.....also a nice size to donate....I generally make 40x54" size for donating.....can be either used for a small child or a larger child's lap quilt.....easy for me to handle and uses only one WOF for backing......

quiltingbuddy 02-16-2015 08:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I put them everywhere... This is the loft/plant shelf near the ceiling where I have my bear collection. I have one on the front door even.

Daylesewblessed 02-16-2015 08:55 AM

People have mentioned so many good ideas!
Recently I posted a doorhanging for my Mom's apartment in a senior complex. Seasonal or themed doorhangings are also good for school, churches, and other facilities. They add interest to a décor.
I have also made handbags out of quilts about 25-30" square. The technique is a method of folding, and you start with a finished square quilt.

Patchwork Pam 02-16-2015 08:57 AM

I don't usually make smaller quilts unless they are pre-planned gifts. Anything smaller than a full/queen is believed by a 7 lb. papillon to be hers. She tries to drag them to her special corner in the sewing room. !!!!Try being the key word here. LOL

Jingle 02-16-2015 11:15 AM

Around 30 x 40" would make a nice quilt to cover someone's lap, knees and legs that uses a wheelchair.
I made two for a young man whom is wheelchair bound. His parents really appreciated them.

Jean in Ohio13452 02-16-2015 02:44 PM

36" x 45" for Lap Robes for Nursing homes. Donation Quilts for Women and children Shelters or Foster Homes, Baby size Quilts donate to Hospitals for new borns.. or for church Charities shops...

Sewhappygal 02-16-2015 06:04 PM

I am involved with Quilts for kids and that's the size we use. Great size for a baby or toddler quilt.