Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to do with this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-t222671.html)

amelia0607 05-31-2013 08:45 AM

What to do with this?

2 Attachment(s)
LQS had this on sale 60% off. So I got some. Now what to do with it? I am very beginning to sewing so my first thought was just add a flannel batting and another flannel for backing and sew along the stripes. But the woman at the shop mentioned all the good borders in this piece. So now I'm wondering. I still need practice just sewing so my stripes will work for that. But I did my last piece like that and want to try something different.

Also please notice that on one of the stripes the butterfly flies into the stripe. Not sure what to do with this either.

Help and thanks in advance!!

Amy

amelia0607 05-31-2013 08:46 AM

Oh and I have a bright pink swirly flannel for backing and do NOT do curves well at all.

pdcakm 05-31-2013 09:04 AM

how about a sampler. maybe a row of four patches, then the row of bees, then a row of rail fence, then the row of butterflys, etc. something like that.

regarding the place where the butterfly goes into the green, i would just split the green so half goes with the butterfly and half goes with the bees.

it is charming fabric and you will make something really nice, i am sure.

MadQuilter 05-31-2013 09:41 AM

I would cut a panel from that fabric and add borders around it to showcase the center fabric. It will be cute no matter what you decide.

nativetexan 05-31-2013 01:52 PM

I think it would make a very cute quilt the way you are planning. perhaps use some basting spray to hold the panel to the flannel until you do your stitching. good luck and have fun!!

amelia0607 05-31-2013 03:37 PM

Thank you for your suggestions. Don't think my skills are piecing level yet. I do not have a crafty/creative cell in my body so this is slow learning -- no natural ability whatsoever (and I am not kidding). But the panel with the borders sounds intriguing. How would make the panel?

Thanks!

JustAbitCrazy 05-31-2013 06:10 PM

A panel with borders would simply be a rectangle of this fabric the size you'd like it to be, with four strips of coordinating fabric sewn on all around, one strip on each side. You decide how wide to make the border strips, depending on what size you want the finished quilt to be. Then you can sandwich and quilt along the stripes in the center fabric as planned, and also quilt along the seams of the borders. Just make sure you don't make the borders wider than the farthest recommended quilting distance for the batting you are using in the quilt. Good luck! The fabric's really cute, and it will make an adorable quilt!

IrelandDragonQuilting 05-31-2013 06:27 PM

Great price! Baby quilt? A backing for a garden quilt. Or you can do what I tend to do, purchase fabric on sale, then put it away and one day I end up finding another perfect fabric for it, or find a pattern that is perfect for it. It is super cute!

mom-6 05-31-2013 10:09 PM

Love that fabric! It would be beautiful just as it is with possibly borders added around it.

alleyoop1 06-01-2013 07:20 AM

Just be sure to wash your flannel before you make a quilt - it usually shrinks a lot.