Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what to do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-t252635.html)

fayeberry 08-28-2014 12:24 PM

what to do?

My hair stylist is having a baby and I said I'd make her a quilt. She told me twice she was going to use gray and yellow color scheme for the nursery, had never before been in a position to do up a nursery before, and this time, for this last baby, really wanted to fix it up. I took the hint, and am almost done with a gray and yellow quilt. Today I she told me she's painted the nursery a coral pink!
Yikes! What do you think? Give it to her anyway? I have already started over once. And I don't care for these colors together myself. What would you do?

Peckish 08-28-2014 12:28 PM

Ug. What a dilemma. Since she told you TWICE those were her colors, I'd give it to her anyway. Maybe if you have the time and inclination, make another quilt after the baby is born?

Bree123 08-28-2014 12:31 PM

She could always use the quilt for tummy time. I'm sure it's beautiful & if you're already basically finished, I'd just go ahead & give it to her.
If you really hate that idea, maybe you could find a cute print that has some of that pink & yellow in it & applique on a little elephant or something in the corner & then bind it with the coral pink, but I don't at all think that's necessary. I'm sure she'll love the quilt you made & appreciate all the work you put into it. :)

loisf 08-28-2014 12:31 PM

I would give it to her anyway. Is there any way you could bind it or back it with a fabric that coordinates with the grey and yellow but has coral in the print too? Otherwise, just give it to her. A quilt is a wonderful gift, whether or not it "matches."

PaperPrincess 08-28-2014 12:34 PM

Since she talked about grey & yellow, she must like that combo. The quilt won't always be used in the nursery (if at all!), and I would give it to her anyway.

tessagin 08-28-2014 12:37 PM

If you don't like the colors you're not going to be happy finishing it or giving it to her. Depending on how much time you have would be up to you to change. You could do a cute D4or 9 patch with pink or pink and orange since that would make a pretty coral. That is up to you.

Silver Needle 08-28-2014 12:53 PM

I would give it to her anyway. You acted in good faith and with love and caring. If she doesn't use it in the nursery so what. She can take it when she and the baby are going out and about.

Cathy77 08-28-2014 12:59 PM

I wouldn't go through all the trouble of making another quilt!

She obviously likes that colour combo, so she'll sure love the quilt as well. So what if not everything is matchy-matchy in the nursery? It won't hinder the baby's developement!

fayeberry 08-28-2014 01:11 PM

Oh, thank you. The back is already on and it is too late to change anything. I know young people like this color combo and that's why I did it.....but it just does not look babyish to my old eyes! But then I thought its not about what I like, it for this sweet young Mom who works hard and deserves to have the nursery she wants.

Onebyone 08-28-2014 01:23 PM

I think nurseries are for the Mom not the baby. I never thought about having a nursery, just put a crib up in the bedroom with the most room. Baby stuff put in a drawer and hung in the closet.