Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what do u do that would bring the quilt police? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-u-do-would-bring-quilt-police-t195281.html)

CookieZenmilk 07-21-2012 07:48 AM

what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

if my seams don't match up, i color the fabric with a sharpie or magic marker.
i rotary cut towards myself instead of away from myself.
i don't always iron the fabric before i cut my fabric. i often see bowed strips but i "make it work"
i only change my needle if it breaks.

LyndaOH 07-21-2012 08:06 AM

I "eyeball" some measurements instead of actually checking them.
I don't baste my smaller quilts before I quilt them.
I sew my bindings down by machine; unless a judge is going to see my binding I opt for efficiency.
If I cut off a point, I cut off a point.

carla m 07-21-2012 08:16 AM

i leave extra backing around the edge so i can pull it to the front for binding. at least on most quilts i do that on special ones i cut separate binding and i also machine stitch my binding using one of those pretty stitches on my sewing machine. what can i say im a rule breaker. i also eyeball some measurements too. im a mostly kind of girl not a perfectionist. it always turns out great in the end so i figure the quilt fairy is watching over me )))).
carla m

susiequilt 07-21-2012 08:25 AM

All of the above!!!!!!!!
:D

sharon b 07-21-2012 08:31 AM

Well now this list could get quite long for me :o LOL But since you asked here are a couple quick ones- I don't care if my seams match - unless it is batiks I don't usually prewash - Points... what are those ????? LOL

Sewnoma 07-21-2012 08:31 AM

I think I've done all of these things at least once, and some of them habitually (machine sewing binding, wrapping it around from the back - yep, yep!!)

I "approximate" a lot of things too, and then just square them up at some point in the process. Nobody seems to be able to tell. ;-)

ptquilts 07-21-2012 09:09 AM

I don't prewash, since I am starting with mostly scraps.

I use "whatever" color thread to sew the seams, most of the time.

delma_paulk 07-21-2012 09:12 AM

I always quilt to my tastes, always take every shortcut I can think of, Always do the binding on the machine, sometimes I miscut and will sew a scrap on to make it the correct size. I give my quilts to family. If they like it, good, if not, do not tell me and just put it in the closet.

Just gave my BIL one on Thursday, a valor quilt as he is retired Army, retired educator and has been honored by the office of the President of The United States of America as the Outstanding Citizen. Told him he could have this quilt one of two ways: 1...He could pay me $450 and he could say bad things about it, point out where I missed a point or seam or whatever. 2...He could have it with my love if he did not do all these things and it would not cost him anything. He thanked me profusely for the quilt and told me how great he thought it was, so its his.

I appreciate all Veterans and thank them for service to our country.

delma

BellaBoo 07-21-2012 09:37 AM

If my borders are wavy I fold the excess along the seam and glue it. I make sure the border is quilted over the fold and it is not noticeable at all and I have super flat borders.

crafty pat 07-21-2012 09:43 AM

When I make pinwheels my points in the center hardly ever come together in the center.