Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you call a person... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-call-person-t136350.html)

Betty Ruth 07-10-2011 06:40 PM

I 'm happy to know that there is another person in the world who likes to piece mindless crumb or string blocks. I have yards and yards of fabric, but I 'd much rather put together those small scraps to make a bigger block. Maybe it because I was a depression baby and had "waste not, want not" pounded into me.

PattyS 07-10-2011 06:59 PM

I completely understand where you come from! So you aren't alone. I have scraps cut in little bags.

awf60 07-10-2011 07:23 PM

Cute! Ditto!

msuewhite 07-10-2011 07:42 PM

Ladies, I saw the other day where a gal uses the big bowl-shaped coffee filters--the cheap ones--to piece her little scraps or strings. Just flatten out, then start in the center,and then sew and flip the pieces across, even at varying angles, until the surface is covered. Next, make a template out of cardboard in the largest square you can get by placing on top of the completed "filter". Trace around the square, cut out, then sew the squares together or sew using sashing strips. I understand if you wet the sewn filter it will come off the back of the pieced square easier. I haven't tried this myself but am anxious to try it.

stitchntimesewing 07-10-2011 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
"Blessed are the Piecemakers!" :-D

I love this quote!

Lorraine babuick 07-10-2011 08:41 PM

You could also use paper. It tears away easily. Couldn't you make circles and applique them to a square of fabric. Alternate between circles and squares.
Oh, there I go again with more ideas and now I want to try it. I love the scraps, they are so colorful.
On Mossuri Quilt show they have where you make a swuare using strips and then cut a circle from it and use the cirlce for one blocks and use the outside tht is left over for another block where you could do applique. This is what gave me the idea but why couldn't you do it with small scraps also.

writerwomen 07-10-2011 09:09 PM

You are creative. One who invisions what can be done where many can not- take pride in it.

ladyredhawk 07-10-2011 11:48 PM

thank you for your work you and your friends do

mjsylvstr 07-11-2011 02:49 AM

charity-crafter

Fortunately my group I sew with has several people who don't like to cut, and absolutely love to find enough blocks in our orphan block box to put together and make a quilt.
And we have several long armers who do the quilting of the soldier quilts.

Over the last seveal years I've made several hundred 6" crumb blocks. I find it very relaxing but another person has collected all the small scraps from our group to use as stuffing for pet beds for shelters. So now I'm doing strips.[/quote]

WHY WOULD YOUR GROUP USE THESE SCRAPS FOR PET BED STUFFING WHEN YOU WERE MAKING QUILTS FOR GIs?
WHICH SEEMS THAT IT WOULD BE SO MUCH MORE A GENEROUS AND GRACIOUS CONTRIBUTION TO A VERY WORTHY CAUSE TO CONTINUE WITH THE QUILTS.

I AM SURE THAT IF YOU REQUESTED, YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO GET SOME CRUMBS FROM SOME OF OUR MEMBERS HERE SO THAT OUR GIs WOULD CONTINUE TO GET WARMTH FROM YOUR LABOR OF LOVE.

BrendaK 07-11-2011 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
"Blessed are the Piecemakers!" :-D

Dittto. BrendaK