Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you call a scrap quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-call-scrap-quilt-t37332.html)

The Bag Lady 04-24-2010 05:17 AM

The only type of quilts that I have ever made are scrappy quilts. But, I make sure that the colors go well together. I usually have 20-30 different prints to make it interesting and attractive.My most recent is the Bento Box pattern and I used Asian prints that went well together.

brushandthimble 04-24-2010 05:29 AM

An easy way to get started with making scrap quilts, is what I call a controlled scrap quilt. Pull all your left over fabric in ONE color family, no regard to if they match or go together, and use ONE background fabric. Might be called a two color quilt.
I taught my nieces to quilt with a cut out scrap quilt projects that I had. Don't think they were to sure how all those fabrics would look together :lol: When finished they loved them, kept saying never thought all those fabrics went together or would look nice.

pollyjvan9 04-24-2010 05:34 AM

What I find appealing about scrap quilts is the variety. Sometimes a color you would never think about looking good with something else will really make everything else POP!

Boston1954 04-24-2010 05:58 AM

I sometimes worry that something will not look good next to something else, then I stop and realize that when they are all sewn together, that you are not really looking at any one fabric, you are seeing it as a whole.

KiwiQuilter 04-24-2010 01:08 PM

Scrap quilts seem to come together and look fabulous. I think it is the play between dark, medium, and light values.

I have some friends who give me their scraps. Which I really appreciate. Anyway - when I show the quilts that are made they often search the tops for their fabrics. They really get a thrill to know the fabric has been used - from something they wouldn't work with any more - into something fabulous. They often talk about the stories of the original quilt. I feel like I am maintaining some long unspoken quilting tradition/mystery.

Oh for me "scraps" are any left over fabric from previous projects (mine or others) where there isn't enough to use in a "co-ordinated/planned" top.

ann clare 04-24-2010 01:17 PM

A quilt that has lots and lots of different colours. Log cabin can be a wonderful scrap quilt because you are dealing with dark and bright fabrics.

Pamela Artman 04-24-2010 01:19 PM

My grandmother made traditional scrap quilts, with everything but the kitchen sink. She kept her scraps (everything left over from sewing projects from many years) in a closet in bags and boxes. When she cut out a quilt, she just pulled a scrap from the bag and cut it out, regardless of what print or color it was. She never used a rotary cutter and I remember the fist time she actually bought fabric for a whole quilt top. I tend to like controlled scrappy quilts, or scrappy quilts in one or two colors. I've made three scrappy purple quilts, a scrappy blue quilt, a scrappy teal quilt, and am working on two scrappy burgundy and tan quilts. I use a wide assortment of fabrics, from my scraps (leftovers) from fat quarters and I'll cut a strip or two from each of my yardage fabrics in that color. They key to having an interesting scrap quilt from one or two colors is to use a variety of shades, tones, hues, values, prints, etc. of that color. For instance, in my blue quilt, I use royal blues, baby blues, navy blues, greenish blues, purplish blues and florals, stripes, solids and plaids. When all put together, the colors have depth and seem to sparkle! I just love them! And I like knowing that I am using up fabrics from my stash. It makes me feel good to use that last little bit of some scrap, but it also makes me feel good when I cut a couple strips off a yard and can put the rest back into my stash for another quilt!

meemersmom 04-24-2010 01:55 PM

My philosophy is "you put them together they go together". I have made quite a few quilts. It does look odd when you first begin a scrap project because you only see a few fabrics then. But, as you make more blocks and it gets bigger, that's when the magic happens. My only two rules for scrap quilting is that I won't repeat a fabric in a block (if I can help it) and I won't put a fabric piece next to itself. Other than that, your options are open.